What should calcium be?

Oct 24, 2011
I've just replastered my 10,000 gallon, in-ground pool (great end of season deal) so its still open and I'm getting the water balanced. I've always used muriatic acid and often used bleach but am now going full BBB.

Water temp is 60. TA is 60. Still working on the other variables. The one that has me perplexed is calcium. Our water supply calcium hardness is about 70 ppm and that's what I'm showing in the pool now.

I've seen a variety of minimums listed--all over 200. But also saw a note, "Don't add calcium if your level is over 120."

As I understand it, plaster contains calcium hydroxide. If I brush the pool, the plaster is still sloughing off. Until it hardens, I have no idea what I should aim for in terms of a calcium level now.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Don't adjust the CH level (or TA) during the first few weeks. As the plaster cures it will raise the PH, TA, and CH levels. If you raise CH now it could very easily end up being too high latter on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.