Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should calcium be?

1. Back To Top    #1

What should calcium be?

I've just replastered my 10,000 gallon, in-ground pool (great end of season deal) so its still open and I'm getting the water balanced. I've always used muriatic acid and often used bleach but am now going full BBB.

Water temp is 60. TA is 60. Still working on the other variables. The one that has me perplexed is calcium. Our water supply calcium hardness is about 70 ppm and that's what I'm showing in the pool now.

I've seen a variety of minimums listed--all over 200. But also saw a note, "Don't add calcium if your level is over 120."

As I understand it, plaster contains calcium hydroxide. If I brush the pool, the plaster is still sloughing off. Until it hardens, I have no idea what I should aim for in terms of a calcium level now.

Thanks!
    10,000 gallons IG, plaster, sand filter, BBB technique
    Pool built abt 1990; replastered in 2012
    Original pump; brushes replaced once

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should calcium be?

Most of all, with startup, what was used to plaster will dictate what should be used.

Plain plaster, Diamond Brite, polished finishes, pebble finishes, all have slightly different targets and timings.

What was used?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Don't adjust the CH level (or TA) during the first few weeks. As the plaster cures it will raise the PH, TA, and CH levels. If you raise CH now it could very easily end up being too high latter on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is plain plaster.

5. Back To Top    #5

Main thing for you to do right now is brush, filter, and keep your pH in check.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the tips. I'll follow them to the T.
    R.