Cover Anchor Corrosion

PoolFun

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
Westford, MA
Hi all, PB installed the cover and anchors about 4 weeks ago. Within two weeks some of the anchors are showing signs of Oxidation or Corrosion (see pictures). My parents had a safety cover with anchors that were 15 years old or so, and I don't remember them showing any signs of corrosion.

Is this normal? Is this something to be worried about? PB is closing the pool today, should I do something to the anchors before they get here?

After the cover is removed in the spring, should the corrosion be cleaned off and a protectent of some kind be applied (I realize I need to clean and lubricate the threads, I'm asking about the corrosion/oxidation)?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0220a.jpg
    IMG_0220a.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0222a.jpg
    IMG_0222a.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0219a.jpg
    IMG_0219a.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 130
I have never seen anchors corrode like that unless they were exposed to acid or chlorine. They don't look like new anchors. Perhaps they were old and exposed to chemicals.

If you haven't spilled any chemicals on the anchors that could explain the corrosion, then the installer should be called out to clean or replace the anchors.

The corrosion seems to be mostly around the outer edges more than the middle. My guess is that someone used an empty chlorine bucket to carry the anchors, and the anchors rolled around the bottom of the bucket in chlorine dust.

Also, those holes look fairly round with little to no chipping around the edges. They do not look like they were made with a hammer drill. What type of drill was used to drill the holes? Were they done with a core drill?

Is the deck some type of stone? If they are stone, are they set in mortar?

Hi James,

The anchors are set in a poured concrete deck. I wasn't around when they installed the anchors, but I believe they used a standard (heavy-duty) rotary drill. I don't believe there is any mortar or other glue to hold them in place.

I asked about the corrosion when they closed the pool yesterday and the service manager claimed it was from the water splashing on them, since I have a SWG. He also indicated that they are going to install sacrificial anodes on all their SWG pools (including mine) in the spring, which will cut down on the corrosion. Looking at other posts, I'm thinking an anode will do nothing for the anchors.

I question whether I would need an anode as I don't have any metal (i.e. ladders, rails etc.) in the pool. From what I've seen the entire plumbing system is all plastic and I thought even the heater was made of something resistant to corrosion, but this is a discussion for another time. Of course, an anode won't hurt either.

Thanks,

Regular pool water with salt levels for an SWG won't cause that type of corrosion, especially in 4 weeks. I think that they had to be exposed to chlorine or acid.

Who is the manufacturer of the cover?

If the pool builder will only blame the salt water, and not do anything else, then you should probably contact the manufacturer.

Did all of the anchors look shiny and new on the day they were installed?

bk406 said:
JamesW said:
Did all of the anchors look shiny and new on the day they were installed?
I'm thinking they were that way when they were installed. some of mine look that way, but they have been in several years. Actually, they are ok that way. They still function just fine.
A brand new cover should come with new hardware. There is no reason that anchors should look like that on the day they are installed, or within 4 weeks.

If they were exposed to chlorine, like from an empty (but not clean) chlorine bucket, then they might look OK on installation but they would quickly corrode.

The poster indicates that the corrosion happened within two weeks. Perhaps they did look like that upon installation, and the poster missed it. Either way, I would not consider it acceptable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't remember for certain, but I believe they were clean at installation time.

What I'm hearing is: it won't affect operation at all (although, I suspect that it may stain the deck if left untreated); It has nothing to do with the water from an SWG pool; I should contact the manufacturer regarding their support and options.

I could try to clean them myself, as the pool cover is installed and it would be a pain to replace them at this point. Would a dilute baking soda solution (to neutralize any remaining acid) and a soft brush be the best approach to cleaning them? Would I be best just waiting until spring and do it as part of my anchor maintenance?

Thanks for the replies and discussion.

I would pull out any that I could easily pull out by hand and thoroughly clean the anchor and hole with water and a Scotch-Brite pad. For the ones that won't easily pull out by hand, I would remove the screw-in insert and thoroughly clean everything with water and a Scotch-Brite scrubbing pad.

Usually the anchors are tamped in by a hammer and are pretty tight; however, those look like they might be easy to pull out.

Since the cover is installed, you will have to unhook the spring, clean the anchor, rehook the spring and then go to the next one.

Be careful when pulling on the anchor, if you pull too hard, or at an angle, you might cause a little chip around the edge of the concrete hole.

What type of finish is on the concrete? Normally, the concrete is broom finished, but that looks pretty smooth.

OK, that helps explain it. I think that once the anchors are thoroughly cleaned, they should be OK as long as the corrosion is mostly superficial, and has not pitted the metal.

I'm pretty sure that the holes were done with a core drill, as opposed to a hammer drill, as a hammer drill would not have made such smooth holes. A core drill is the better way to go for any surface that could be adversely affected by a hammer drill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.