Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Much Salt...

1. Back To Top    #1

To Much Salt...

My PB got filter and all up and running Friday. He added salt on Saturady morning. 600lbs into a 21,000 pool. Initial readings Saturday night only read 3200PPM on ProLogic panel. Taylor kit showed 3600PPM. Sunday morning and currenlty it reads 4400PPM and Taylor was 5000PPM.

I am thinking this is to high and I should drain some water and fill?

Thanks,

Ted

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Much Salt...

600 pounds in 21,000 gallons will increase the salt level by 3400 ppm. What is the salt level of the fill water?

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this a new build or have you had the same water for awhile? What I'm getting at, did you check your salt level before adding the salt? If the water had been in use for awhile it might of had a higher level of salt than you might think.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

This was new fill from truck, but city water (chlorinated) and about 1 week old. I have tested with both Taylor and looking at ProLogic panel.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is always some salt in the water to start with, though city water often has fairly low levels. Salt does take a little while to dissolve and mix completely (normally you give it 24 hours with the pump running to mix), so your description fits with there being about 1,200 ppm of salt in the water to start with.

How important it is to get the salt level back down depends mostly on what brand/model of SWG you have. AutoPilot units don't mind the higher salt levels, but several other brands will refuse to function when the salt level is too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I have Hawyard Pro Logic PL-PS-8 with a T-Cell-15. Manual says 3400PPM as the top range. Any other information?

7. Back To Top    #7

That unit will get a HIGH SALT error somewhere around 4000 ppm. The exact level is somewhat variable, depending on temperature along with other things. If you do get a high salt error you will need to lower the salt level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

It is not in an alert mode for some reason, but reads 4400PPM. I called Hayward and they said not critical to occur ASAP, but should drain 10" or so of water and re-add.