Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Balance and Water Temp.

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Balance and Water Temp.

I prefer a warm pool 90-94 even in the summer. We use a gas heater. Do I need to adjust my chemical levels because I keep it warmer? We have problems with scale even though I keep everything in balance. I keep my CH around 220. Should I lower it to help prevent the scale? I have a fiberglass SWG pool.

Thanks for your help!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Balance and Water Temp.

What level is your TA and pH?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

PH is 7.4 and TA is 70. I use a Taylor K-2006 Test kit.

Thanks for your help!!
    East TN
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

With those numbers, your saturation index should be quite low at around -0.5 (assuming 3000 ppm salt levels) even at the higher temperature. So I wonder if what you are seeing is efflorescence instead of scale. Are you using 50 ppm Borates in the pool? That can help prevent scale in the SWG cell and might help with the tile line by keeping the pH from rising as much (though it won't help with efflorescence).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, what is efflorescence?

I have in the past added a little borates, but probably not enough to get 50 ppm. I do not have a way to test for Borates. Do I need to purchase something to check my borates level? I rarely have trouble with my ph increasing.

Thanks for your help!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Efflorescence would be something seen on stone and possibly grout, but not likely on tile. You never mentioned where you see scale so I was just guessing. When you say you see scale, where do you see it? On the fiberglass below the water line? Above the waterline? On tile? On stone?

Scaling below the waterline would be rough. Is the scaling you are seeing rough to the touch?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

The scaling or should I say what I thought was scale is occasionally blowing out of the returns and I also find it in the salt water generator and the heater. I also find it in my Polaris bag. It is small flakes that are blue and white in color.

Thanks!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by creechy
    I do not have a way to test for Borates. Do I need to purchase something to check my borates level?
    Borates Test Strips. It might help reduce scaling in the salt cell though with your numbers I'm surprised you're seeing any at all, especially from the heater.