Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Water In Winter Months

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Water In Winter Months

Will someone please tell me if it is necessary to test my pool water in the winter. I leave my pool open in the winter. I normally test for cl and ph. I am using my TF100 kit this winter. It seems like the cl use would be near 0 when the water is near,or at freezing, keeping algae away. Any help is very much appreciated. THANKS
    20X40 IG,33,000 GAL,VINYL LINER,1 HP PUMP,HAYWARD SAND FILTER,CAMDEN,S.C.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Testing Water In Winter Months

My assumption is you don't intend to close the pool so, yes, in SC you would want to test and keep chlorine in it. Your pool water will seldom go below 40-45 in Camden.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You won't need to test as often since the chlorine loss rate will slow significantly. In the winter, I usually only need to test and add chlorine once every 1-2 weeks. Note that if your pool is uncovered, you may still have chlorine loss from sunlight, but in the winter with the lower angle of the sun this loss is lower as well. Just see how things go and set a schedule that makes sense for your pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info duraleigh and chem geek. I'll test maybe once a week. I do leave my pool uncovered. It's nice to look at the pretty blue when all is so cold and gray.
    20X40 IG,33,000 GAL,VINYL LINER,1 HP PUMP,HAYWARD SAND FILTER,CAMDEN,S.C.