Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem in line from skimmer to pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem in line from skimmer to pump

From my skimmer it runs about 30 feet and then the PVC makes a 90 degree turn upwards. I KNOW that in that turn I still have some blockage. I bought a roto-rooter thing, and got that cleaned out a bit, a while back. You can't use a motor operated one, that I've found, as the bits are to big to make the turn from the skimmer, 90 degrees, and then run down that line to the next 90 degree turn.

I actually only made some progress going from the pump side and getting a tiny bit at a time, but never fully cleared it I don't think.

Any suggestions on how to clear that remaining blockage? Wish I could use a small, rubber, hose and inject some Drano right there where that blockage is, but sure that wouldn't be good for the pool.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm pretty much at a loss. Works fine, except when I hook up my MX cleaner thingy. That used to take about 2- 2 1/2 hours to clean the pool. I'm at 4 hours now and looks like another couple hours to go, if it ever gets it cleaned.

TIA!

JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem in line from skimmer to pump

Use a drain king to flush out the line from the pump to the skimmer. If you do a google search for "drain king" at the bottom left corner of this page you will find several threads that discuss how to use one to unblock a line.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If the main line is flex pipe and tabs were used in the skimmer for an extended period, it is likely the inside of the pipe swelled and or collapsed. If this is the case, organics can get stuck tightly. You may have to dig and replace.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Reversing the flow (the Drain King, as zea3 said would be a first choice, I think) is probably the best bet.

If you were getting "some" debris, can you repeat over and over until it's unplugged?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, fellas! Ordered a Drain King this morning. Pretty cheap fix if that thing works, and easy too!

JJ
    15K gal IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    1 horse pump..don't know flow rate
    Chlorine Feeder
    Pool Newbie (only 3 1/2 years)