Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replacing main drain covers

1. Back To Top    #1

replacing main drain covers

One of the screws is stripped out on my main drain inground pool cover.....and it keeps popping up on the one side.
    here is the cover (two in the bottom of the pool) I've got...

http://commercialpool.com/sta-ritemaind ... -0741.aspx

It is very difficult to work under water to repair this....

I was told that there are 4 sets of holes in the rim of the part that is in the pool that the cover screws to and that the cover can be rotated to the next set of holes if need be...

What are my options for repair or replacement ?? ...call someone who has tanks to do underwater pool repair or ??
    I live in the Dallas area...

Thanks for your help..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replacing main drain covers

It is possible to make repairs with a snorkel and face mask (and lots of patience), but that can get really challenging. It is much simpler if you have scuba gear.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I find it much easier to work if I have something heavy to hold onto to stop myself from floating up.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

If completely draining the pool is out (and I discourage that to begin with) then hiring a diver is the right thing. If the other set of holes are already stripped, nobody, short of a Polynesian oyster diver will be able to hold their breath long enough, not even Melt. I have to assume you're not a certified scuba diver or we wouldn't be seeing this question.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

How do you know I'm not a polynesian oyster diver?

You can get a lot done in several <1 minute trips down there. I'd at least try it before shelling out the $$ for a scuba diver.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you're clearly Polynesian MITS.

Seriously though, how deep are we talking here? 6 feet or less, I would think one could do fairly easily with a mask and deep breaths. That is, unless your pool water is cold like mine. I ain't getting in mine, even if the drain fell off, until next year when it warms up.

7. Back To Top    #7

When I worked in a dive shop years ago, I knew many Divers who would do something like this for fun. No training or knowledge is required, so you can trust most divers to do the job right.

I would go to a local dive shop, and ask the shop owner if he knows any Divers that would tackle your job. You might just find a customer in the shop who would jump at the chance to get wet for a case of beer.
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 20,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.0Hp Maxiglass/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Don't try making a really long snorkel, trust me it doesn't work
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

Its a small pool 8,400 gallons and the drains are around 5 to 5 1/2 ft deep.....

I may warm up the water a bit or just wait till next year when things heat up again.....not sure at this pt.

The only bad thing is, is that I cannot use my "THE POOL CLEANER" because it gets hung up on the cover that is not fastened down...

10. Back To Top    #10

turned the heater on this morning......went out to get some more stainless steel screws....one screw was bent....replaced with the next larger screw (from a #6 to a #8)...

the other screw well even bumping up the size from a #6 to a #8 it still was stripped out so I put in a plastic insert...like the kind you put in drywall .... tapped it into the hole a few times and used a #6 in that hole....unbelieveable as it worked great... the screws tightened up and held securely...

other than being a bit cold I was very happy to have fixed it....thanks to all..

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Glad you were able to fix it!

Don't forget to fill in your location information. If you were close by to me I could of let you borrow my "super snorkel"
    http://store.leaktools.com/mm5/merchant ... y_Code=DVE
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp