Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Back up???

1. Back To Top    #1

Fort Worth, TX

CYA Back up???

Had minor algae, started off w/high CYA, removed 30% water, CYA reduced after refill. Then began shocking w/bleach. Algae gone, did the overnight FC test, passed. Now the CYA is back up to 100. This is a SWG plaster pool. Do we need to remove water again? I know to add acid to lower pH and maintain around 7.0-7.2 until TA down to acceptable range.

Thank you!!

here are current readings:

FC 11.5
    CC 0
    TC 11.5
    pH 7.8
    T/A 130
    CH 350
    CYA 100
    Horses make me smile. :)
    16K gallon iregular SWG w/spa, Aquarite, Legend Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: CYA Back up???

You might have measured the CYA level after refill too soon before the water thoroughly mixed and got diluted. You could try diluting again by 20% to get closer to 80 ppm which is where you want to be with an SWG. However, if you are at 100 and not over 100, you could just live with this for now and set your FC target at 5 ppm instead of 4 ppm. Winter rains may dilute your pool water "for free".
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: CYA Back up???

That CYA test maxes out at 100, so your original test could have been WELL higher than that. Maybe explains why you drained, refilled, retested and are still at 100. Let's hope chem geek is closer to right than I am!
    Circulate well then test again first.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!