how to close pool for several years

kylieo

Oct 20, 2011
Berkshire, England
Last winter I moved to a house with an in ground pool. This summer we opened up the pool but since we have been very busy working on the house (the whole house needs doing up) we only managed to use the pool 3 times in the whole summer. I can't see this changing in the next few years and so would ideally like to avoid the time and money we spent on the pool this summer if we aren't going to use it much. We're not sure what we'll do in the future, whether we'll keep the pool or get rid of it but with the house taking all our money we can't afford to get rid of it yet.

My question really is what can I do with my pool now to minimise how much time and money I will need to spend on it for the next few years? The obvious option is to winterise it and just leave it until I want to use it in a few years time but are there any better options?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to TFP!

There aren't any great options for leaving a pool closed for several years. Even winterized, you are going to have to pay some attention if you want to make sure there aren't any problems. Winter covers need water pumped off, leaves removed, adjustment if they move, and patching or replacement if they are punctured. It is also a good idea to check the water chemistry at least once a year, preferably more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.