tile replacing coping stone question

kostia

Jun 30, 2010
Hi,
The gunite pool is about 12 years old in MA. Some of the tiles have fallen off around skimmers, spa etc. There is some hallow sound when knocking around both on tile and coping stones. I am thinking of replacing tiles in the spring (decko seal is being replaced today). The question is does the coping stone have to be lifted to do this correctly, or will I be ok replacing just the tile. What is a reasonable price for tile replacing in MA for 20x40 pool with SPA attached? What should I watch out for?
Can anyone recommend someone good in MA area?

If the coping sounds hollow, it's unstuck underneath and could potentially break off when someone is standing or grabbing it. The expansion joint sealing won't cure this.

Coping, when it comes loose, doesn't due so all the way around. It takes a while and gets worse as it's ignored.

Those coping stones/bricks that are still stuck in place, when removed, may lose a few tiles due to the vibrations created when the demo hammer is smacking it. The coping that is loose may also cause tiles to come unstuck if the thin set was exposed for an extended period. If they don't come off at demo, they may still a couple weeks later, they may come off during the winter, or they may stay. Its not really predictable.

I don't like it when a customer opts to do coping and tile separately. Both processes require draining the pool, just as plastering does. It just winds up costing the pool owner more in the long run though I understand that cash flow is usually the reason someone will choose this path

Scott.

I do not think that coping is in such a bad condition as to fall off.

What is the cost range for:
1 re-plaster
2 pebble stone finish
3 tile
4 coping stone + tile

once again 20x40 + spa

Prices vary in different regions.

You have a large pool and spa. By me, with a high aggregate finish, you're looking at a $14 to $18K nut, depending on the finish and finisher.

Check with South Shore Gunite or maybe if Waste (a really sharp and on the ball contributor) is listening, he might know a few others.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.