Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward vs Pentair

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward vs Pentair

Hi everyone,

I am considering installing a 15'X30'X54" Sharkline above ground pool in my backyard. I have 2 quotes from 2 different stores. The first one recommends a HaywardCC1000 series XStream filtration system with a 100 ft2 cartridge filter and a Hayward 1hp power-flo matrix pump and adding a pool frog for reduced chemical use. The other one recommends Pentair cartridge filter system with 1.5hp pump and adding a power ionizer to reduce chemicals use.
    Can anyone help with feedback about the 2 systems? Cost is similar.

Also, has anyone heard of/ used Spectralight UV system?

Thank you,

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Hayward vs Pentair

First you should tell both of them to keep their Frog or Ionizer. They'll cause you nothing but problems, and the ionizer is of no use on and outdoor residential pool.

Do you know what size the Pentair filter is? Whatever it is, the pump is too big for that pool. Also insist on a 2-speed pump no matter which system you go with.

I go with at least a 200 sqft filter and a 2-speed 1 hp pump. Either brand will serve you well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

For an outdoor residential pool skip the UV system. UV can be great on a commercial pool but is essentially useless on an outdoor residential pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you SO MUCH!