Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Shock before SWG hooked up okay?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Shock before SWG hooked up okay?

So my vinyl IGP pool build is soooo behind due to weather. Has been sitting for a week with water, but no filtering. SWG will not be hooked up for a few more days and water is getting a bit nasty looking. Should it be shocked with something prior to SWG hookup? and if so, what should be used. I assume that even though city water that chlorine is gone.

Thoughts?

(SWG is a Hayward w/ T-Cell-15)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Shock before SWG hooked up okay?

Sounds like you need to put something in there. Are you able to circulate water int there at all?

3. Back To Top    #3

Not yet and won't do anything until I can. Just not sure if any adverse impact if it is shocked once pump is started and pre-salt add and SWG being active. Hopefully pump will be running tomorrow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Shocking before the SWG is running is totally fine. Just make sure the PH is generally in range and you have the pump working before you start shocking.

I suggest getting a full set of water test results while you are waiting for the pump to work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason - Should I do that with my K2006 kit, or take a sample to the PB's store for their machine to analyze?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a K-2006, use it! If it is brand new, you need the practice and if you have had it a even a short while your results will be better than the pool store results.

Just at the moment, right after a fill, there is no point in testing FC, CC, or CYA. They are all going to be at or near zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School