Leaking at the motor/housing

kizerman

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Charlotte, NC
So after 2 years of trouble free running, my Hayward superpump developed a slow leak and I figured it was the housing gasket or the ceramic seal. After some internet research and talking to Leslies, I figured it was the seal so I replaced it myself following an instructional video. Still leaking.

So I take the motor to Leslies and they replace the seal, I bring it home, still leaking.

I return to Leslies, show them the gaskets. They say they look ok but we replace the O ring impeller gasket and housing gasket. These are aftermarket gaskets and the housing gasket looks different from the OEM gasket. I try them anyway, still leaks.

Next I order a Hayward OEM housing gasket. Still leaks. I cannot find a crack in the housing and it only leaks when running. What is going on. Leslies has waved the white flag and are stumped as am I. Experts?

I Can but it's been raining here for 2 days and probably tomorrow AM as well so I need to wait for it to dry up out there. I will tell you, that from what I've read, it is consistant with either a ceramic seal leak or a housing gasket leak. It is just wet stain about 8" in diameter centered where the motor mounts to the housing.

So here is a pictire of the leak. It appears to be coming from where the motor mounts, which made me think it was the housing gasket.

DSC03204.jpg

When Leslie's changed the gaskets, did they use a Super Pro Go-Kit?

I suspect the impeller shaft is cracked. Remove the impeller and take off the seal. Blow air on it to dry it out and look for a hairline crack its the shaft.

Remove the other seal from the seal plate. Again, check for hair line cracks.

Use a bright light and magnifying glass.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PoolGuyNJ said:
When Leslie's changed the gaskets, did they use a Super Pro Go-Kit?

I suspect the impeller shaft is cracked. Remove the impeller and take off the seal. Blow air on it to dry it out and look for a hairline crack its the shaft.

Remove the other seal from the seal plate. Again, check for hair line cracks.

Use a bright light and magnifying glass.

Scott

The only Leslies gasket I used was the O-ring gasket from a kit of 3. I ordered a housing gasket from Hayward after the the Leslies housing gasket did stop the leak.

If there is a crack do I need to just buy a new motor? Is this common?

I'm confused as to why, after changing the seal both times, it ran for a day or so without leaking then started dripping again.

Bama Rambler said:
They're not all that common but it does happen. If it is cracked all you'll need is a new seal plate.

Ok, so I removed the seal plate and the back of it is soaked. It would seem to me that if there is water behind the seal plate when removed that either the seal is bad or there is a crack in the plate somewhere. Is that a correct conclusion?

I am am fairly confident that the seal is good since I replaced at twice in the past month so am I looking at a cracked plate even if I cannot find one?

Bama Rambler said:
The cracks can be very hard to see. They can be behind a boss or rib. I'd take it to a motor shop or pool place and let them look at it.
I'm taking it to Leslies tomorrow. I can't find a crack anywhere but there was a bunch of water behind the seal plate so it's getting in somehow. I guess I can just buy new seal plate and see if it stops the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.