Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking at the motor/housing

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking at the motor/housing

So after 2 years of trouble free running, my Hayward superpump developed a slow leak and I figured it was the housing gasket or the ceramic seal. After some internet research and talking to Leslies, I figured it was the seal so I replaced it myself following an instructional video. Still leaking.

So I take the motor to Leslies and they replace the seal, I bring it home, still leaking.

I return to Leslies, show them the gaskets. They say they look ok but we replace the O ring impeller gasket and housing gasket. These are aftermarket gaskets and the housing gasket looks different from the OEM gasket. I try them anyway, still leaks.

Next I order a Hayward OEM housing gasket. Still leaks. I cannot find a crack in the housing and it only leaks when running. What is going on. Leslies has waved the white flag and are stumped as am I. Experts?
    8000 gallon outdoor inground vinyl. Sand filter, Hayward 1HP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking at the motor/housing

Could you post a picture of the leak?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I Can but it's been raining here for 2 days and probably tomorrow AM as well so I need to wait for it to dry up out there. I will tell you, that from what I've read, it is consistant with either a ceramic seal leak or a housing gasket leak. It is just wet stain about 8" in diameter centered where the motor mounts to the housing.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

inspect the seal plate for cracks, and the impeller shaft if it's the old plastic type

5. Back To Top    #5

The impeller shaft is not plastic and is fine. Can you help me out with the seal plate? I'm assuming it's somewhere near the ceramic seal but is it underneath the seal or where the seal is mounted?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

yes where it is mounted, pull it off and check the back for cracks

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I will check that out. Thank you. Is that common?

8. Back To Top    #8

So here is a pictire of the leak. It appears to be coming from where the motor mounts, which made me think it was the housing gasket.

9. Back To Top    #9

So the seal plate looks fine and I still have the leak. I am completely confused and frustrated. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this leak?

10. Back To Top    #10

When Leslie's changed the gaskets, did they use a Super Pro Go-Kit?

I suspect the impeller shaft is cracked. Remove the impeller and take off the seal. Blow air on it to dry it out and look for a hairline crack its the shaft.

Remove the other seal from the seal plate. Again, check for hair line cracks.

Use a bright light and magnifying glass.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

Could it be leaking from the top pipe fitting? In the picture you posted there seems to be a line of where water is dripping down, it's just aft of Hayward Manufacturing tag.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Could it be leaking from the top pipe fitting? In the picture you posted there seems to be a line of where water is dripping down, it's just aft of Hayward Manufacturing tag.
    No, it's definitely coming from underneath somewhere.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    When Leslie's changed the gaskets, did they use a Super Pro Go-Kit?

I suspect the impeller shaft is cracked. Remove the impeller and take off the seal. Blow air on it to dry it out and look for a hairline crack its the shaft.

Remove the other seal from the seal plate. Again, check for hair line cracks.

Use a bright light and magnifying glass.

Scott
    The only Leslies gasket I used was the O-ring gasket from a kit of 3. I ordered a housing gasket from Hayward after the the Leslies housing gasket did stop the leak.

If there is a crack do I need to just buy a new motor? Is this common?

I'm confused as to why, after changing the seal both times, it ran for a day or so without leaking then started dripping again.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sometimes a crack in the seal plate is very hard to see when it's not under pressure. Check it again closely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Sometimes a crack in the seal plate is very hard to see when it's not under pressure. Check it again closely.
    Ok, I will. Are seal plate cracks common? Will I need a new motor if it is cracked? Thank you all for your advice.

16. Back To Top    #16

They're not all that common but it does happen. If it is cracked all you'll need is a new seal plate.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

They're not all that common but it does happen. If it is cracked all you'll need is a new seal plate.
    Ok, so I removed the seal plate and the back of it is soaked. It would seem to me that if there is water behind the seal plate when removed that either the seal is bad or there is a crack in the plate somewhere. Is that a correct conclusion?

I am am fairly confident that the seal is good since I replaced at twice in the past month so am I looking at a cracked plate even if I cannot find one?

18. Back To Top    #18

The cracks can be very hard to see. They can be behind a boss or rib. I'd take it to a motor shop or pool place and let them look at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

The cracks can be very hard to see. They can be behind a boss or rib. I'd take it to a motor shop or pool place and let them look at it.
    I'm taking it to Leslies tomorrow. I can't find a crack anywhere but there was a bunch of water behind the seal plate so it's getting in somehow. I guess I can just buy new seal plate and see if it stops the problem.

20. Back To Top    #20

I wouldn't just buy one until several people have looked at it and inspected the seal area and o-rings/gaskets and sealing surfaces well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast