PH level at closing

Oct 8, 2009
Hello,

Last year when our pool was closed I brought the PH level down to 7.0 because the PH levels rise quickly in my pool. After opening the PH level was well above 8.0. I remember having to put alot of muratic acid in and it took 2 days to bring it down.

Fast forward to this years closing (which is tomorrow)...I keep the PH level around 7.4-7.6 but need to put muriatic acid in every week. So my question is....should I just lower it to the 7.0 again this year and hope for the best? Or do I lower it into the 6.8 range? The pool is 2 years old.

Thank You!

With those numbers, I would only lower the PH just a little, say to 7.5 or 7.6. You could go a little lower if you want, but I would not take the PH below 7.3. If you lower PH too much you could have some etching of the plaster over the winter.

My guess is that your chemical levels were very different last year, resulting in the dramatic PH increase over the winter, though there are some other less likely possibilities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.