Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wintertime chlorine usage and pump run time

1. Back To Top    #1

Wintertime chlorine usage and pump run time

How many hours per day should the pump run during cooler wether?

The timer has a freeze sensor to turn on when the temp is below 35. Will this turn on just the main pumpor the polatis booster too? Should the freeze sensor turn the main pump on high or low?

Any estimates of how much chlorine the pool should use as the water cools off? During the peak of summer I was adding 4 cups daily. I'm adding between one and two cups daily now. With the help of a solar cover m water is still in the upper 70's.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wintertime chlorine usage and pump run time

If you're not going to close, you can run it as little as an hour a day and when it's going to freeze. That's about all you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Bama is correct. also, not sure how the freeze guard on jandy equipement is set up but mine will turn on everything at some point when it kicks on. that means it will go into spa mode, pool mode, cleaner mode and water features will all kick on at different times. also i typically reduce my pump run time to about 6 hours but i think you will find less is probably ok as well. as far as chlorine, i used very little over the winter last year.
    17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is good news. I was wondering about this the other day. I'm not closing but will keep it nice and sparkly.
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

5. Back To Top    #5

I would be surprised if an hour a day was sufficient to keep chlorine circulated. I tend to get algae more often in the winter if I've forgotten to add bleach so I know that algae can still be active. I was advised to run 6 hours a day in winter when I bought the pool, advise from the local pool service and repair co that inspected the pool equipment.

My freeze protect kicks on the waterfall pump, and the main filter since there is circulation through the Polaris when the main filter is on.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't need to worry about freeze protection here. Since I maintain the chemistry year-round so the hot tub is available when I want it, I run the filter long enough to get a turnover per day. For me, that's about 4 hours.

I used a ruler in the spa. Sucked from spa and measured how many inches it went down in how many minutes. Then refilled the spa and did the same, and took the average. Knowing diameter, it was just some number crunching to get the actual flow. And then some more crunching to determine run time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I was wondering about pump run time myself today not only in cool weather but in warm weather as well. If your pool is clear and your chemicals have the circulated why continue running the pump?
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Funny, I just had a customer of mine today tell me he's not going to run his pump during the winter as they won't be swimming in it. This is FL, and I told him I didn't advise it nor do I know of anyone here in FL with a pool that doesn't run their pump at least 4-6 hours during the winter time. But they are from the north and are thinking they need to not run it like they did up north. So I said good luck and call me when you need it cleaned up. He even talked about buying a winterizing kit for the pool. WOW.

I truly don't understand why you would want to take a chance on not running the equipment at least for a short time during the winter months.

Good luck!
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
    I was wondering about pump run time myself today not only in cool weather but in warm weather as well. If your pool is clear and your chemicals have the circulated why continue running the pump?
    Think about where the chlorine goes, and why. Leaves fall into the pool and sink to the bottom, the sun shines on the surface, chlorine dissipates here and there. With no circulation you ought to get localized areas of little or no chlorine eventually.

You probably already know where those spots are, they are the ones that are first to show a hint of green when you let levels get too low.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. If your not winterizing the pool maintain 1 turn over and test your chlorine level, maintain appropriately. I realize that chlorine usage goes down in the winter so testing the chlorine level and maintaining an appropriate level seems prudent. Yes, you'll need to turn down the SWCG or add less bleach then in the summer. But unless your actually closing it down (covering and such) then you should test and maintain. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida