Help, lost suction can't find problem

Oct 18, 2011
I have 12 year old Northstar 1 HP pump. I have navigator vacuum and skimmer on a valve which I can adjust so I can provide more suction to one or the other if the solar is on. Over the past 30 days the valve has to be almost 100% on the navigator to work properly then I get no suction in the skimmer. The water in the pump basket is about 1 inch from the top of after turning the pump on and never seems to reach the top. I have pulled the motor, cleaned and lubed, pulled filters and found cracked manifold and top that attaches to the 4 filters and replaced both parts. With all the above work I am still having the low suction problem. I am also noticing very low flow from the returns. I am out of options unless I replace the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13,000 gallons, Northstar 1 hp pump, hayward cartridge filter, above ground.

Welcome to TFP!

Your problem probably isn't where you've been looking. You either have a water restriction between the skimmer and/or drain and the pump, or an air leak in the same places. The most common sources are the O-ring on the pump strainer basket lid, the drain plug in the strainer basket, valves in that line, a sticking weir in the skimmer or a low water level in the pool. The first thing to try is to remove the strainer basket lid and inspect the O-ring. If it is cracked, replace it. If it looks okay, apply pool lube and reinstall it.

Thanks for the hints. When the pump is turned on it appears to have a good volume of water rushing in. However, I did check the O ring and it appears to be stretched out about 1/4 inch. I am going to replace and see if that helps.

Thanks

Suction found could it be the filters

I replaced the O rings, checked the line for clogs. While I was at the pool store I explained the filters I purchased a year ago (Pleatco) don't fit the manifold and that is why they cracked taking them off and on to clean them. The store mentioned there was a recall on those filters but did not elaborate.

Troubleshooting I removed the filters and tightened everything down and the pump, suction, all ran perfectly. The filters were very clean and cleaned every three months. Do you think this Pleatco filters are so bad they are causing the issue? Or is my pump running out of juice?

Thanks for any help

It most likely isn't the pump. As long as the impeller is clear and there's not a lot of wear, it's probably fine.

If indeed, everything ran "perfectly" then it certainly points to the filters. I'd call Pleatco if I were you and see what the recall is about.

With the filters in the pressure was very low, Lower than 5 PSI. With filters out pressure read 11 PSI, no air in filter basket, vacuum works perfect. I have taken all your advice and took the filters to the water compressor. The filters looked great from the outside but I really cleaned them well for about 30 minutes and the gunk that came out was amazing. I used a lower car wash setting on the compressor (before I just used the hose) . I am going to install the filters this morning and keep you posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Solution to lost suction, honest answer

Well after numerous part replacements and what I thought were clean filters I was wrong.
After cleaning the filters with pressure washer for 30 minutes and noticing lots of gunk in the pleats that you can't see I reinstalled the filters this morning. Pressure stayed at 11 PSI and everything works perfect. I guess it comes back down to commons sense. (Clean the filters good before dumping money) Thanks to all the input and help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.