Help please: Hole in Winter Cover

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
It has been very windy here and we discovered a branch that came down and is now pierced through our winter cover (cover is plastic type winter cover for an inground pool). The branch is still in the cover and it's going to leave a hole approximately 1 inch or 1.5 inches.

Does anyone have any experience with these cover patches like these: http://www.amazon.com/No-manufacturer-W ... B00480EKIG

The guy at the pool store gave me some of these. He said to dry the cover as best we can and then after applying the patches, to put duct tape over them. He said when the duct tape freezes, the glue on the duct tape will stick to the patches.

Would you recommend putting the duct tape over the patches? DH says he thinks the duct tape when wet, will just peel off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you clean and dry the cover and apply the patch carefully it will often hold for a year, sometimes longer. I tend to patch both sides of a hole, which seems to help just a little. I would skip the duct tape. It won't hurt, but it doesn't help much either. Duct tape does tend to come off when wet, though some brands hold longer than others.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. My husband put the patch on the top of the cover. But he had to leave for work and it's supposed to rain for the next few day, so this weekend we're going to push the water blocks aside so we can get to the underneath part of the cover so he can place a patch there. These patches just don't look like they'd be very sturdy, but I'd be happy just to get through the winter. After my husband put the patches on, I went on line and found patches that are made out of the same material as the pool cover, which seems like they'd be a lot sturdier. But I guess to late now.

Thanks for the suggestions of the Gorilla tape. I think we should put some over the patches. Like I said, I just want to make it through the winter. Pretty bummed out because the cover is only a year old.

Update - Re: Help please: Hole in Winter Cover

Well the repair patches the pool store gave me did not last. So I bought some tarp repair tape that I found on line. It is very heavy duty. I know I could have tried the Gorilla tape but I wanted something heavy duty that hopefully will last until we have to replace the cover since the cover is only 2 years old.

So just wanted to let people know if they have a rip or hole in their winter cover that this stuff I got seems to be much more heavy duty and thick than the stuff you'd get at a pool store. Just make sure you order their heavy duty tape and not the regular tape. They sell it by the foot so it's more economical that way:

http://www.buytarpsandliners.com/produc ... -Tape.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.