Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AG running pump with cover on?

1. Back To Top    #1

AG running pump with cover on?

I have an 18' AG. Here in Texas it may get below 30 just a few days out of the year, so I don't close the pool, I just trim back how long the pump runs and make sure it runs during the freezing temps. However, I always get junk in the pool, and still always having to clean it. So I was wondering this year, can I put a cover on, but still run the pump to circulate the water and inject chlorine?

If I can, do I need to put a pillow in the middle to keep the cover up off the water?
    Thanks,

Richard

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AG running pump with cover on?

I did that my first year and it works pretty well. I used (2) 4' x 15' pillows tied centered in the pool and had no problems. Since I've never done it without pillows, I can't comment on how that would work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool, thanks. Is there an issue with just using an innertube vs a pillow?
    Thanks,

Richard

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

4. Back To Top    #4

The reason I used the pillows was to divert the water and leaves to the sides to make it easier to pump off the water and remove the debris
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit