Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dark plaster, milky swirls, when can I brush?

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas, Nevada

Dark plaster, milky swirls, when can I brush?

We have brand new dark gray plaster and some areas are a very light gray, nearly white. I know darker colors mottle easily and we really like the mottled look, but in the spa it is just really bad. Like it wasn't brushed well enough in the first couple days. Same thing around some of the edges of the steps. Tonight I took a small piece of sandpaper and rubbed one of the white spots and it took it right off. I really don't want to sand the whole pool, so I guess I am wondering what else I can do to remove the milky areas. I was told that I can't use a wire brush one it.
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Dark plaster, milky swirls, when can I brush?

Did you do the plaster yourself or did you contract it out? If you contracted it out, talk to your sub about it before sanding anything down.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Dark plaster, milky swirls, when can I brush?

Some test results may help; a thin white film sounds like it could be calcium scale forming!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden