Pool light switcheroo

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm probably overcomplicating things, so do tell me if I should scrap this plan.

My parents' pool light went out. They are thinking of selling their house at some point, so they want to minimize their cash outlay.

My pool light works. It's one of the "regular" ones just like they had. Not sure when it was installed, how long it was used before we bought the house, or what the remaining life is on the bulb.

Can I replace my light with an LED light and then place my old light into their pool? Other than the unknown remaining life, are there any cons that would be a deal breaker?

Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
M.

Prav,
None of the standard bulbs are that expensive, so I'm not sure it really would be worth the effort to pull the ole' switcheroo. If your bulb fits into their housing you could certainly do it! Are you thinking of getting one of the LED bulbs that fit into a standard light housing, or replacing the fixture entirely as MonkeyAle mentioned?

IMHO, LED bulbs lead to disappointment. The don't emit enough lumens when compared to a 300 or 500 watt bulb.

Moving your fixture might be possible if your deck box is further away than your folks.

When changing a bulb, I ALWAYS change the lens gasket. Some have done without successfully but its not always the case. Enough so that I don't want to risk getting water in from a leaky gasket. It's not worth the $20 to risk the $400 fixture.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.