Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light switcheroo

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light switcheroo

I'm probably overcomplicating things, so do tell me if I should scrap this plan.

My parents' pool light went out. They are thinking of selling their house at some point, so they want to minimize their cash outlay.

My pool light works. It's one of the "regular" ones just like they had. Not sure when it was installed, how long it was used before we bought the house, or what the remaining life is on the bulb.

Can I replace my light with an LED light and then place my old light into their pool? Other than the unknown remaining life, are there any cons that would be a deal breaker?

Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    M.
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light switcheroo

I believe you have to replace the housing and everything if you're going from a regular light to an LED one.
    23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 6 jets and 5 tier waterfall ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 947 sq ft exposed aggregate decking

3. Back To Top    #3

Prav,
    None of the standard bulbs are that expensive, so I'm not sure it really would be worth the effort to pull the ole' switcheroo. If your bulb fits into their housing you could certainly do it! Are you thinking of getting one of the LED bulbs that fit into a standard light housing, or replacing the fixture entirely as MonkeyAle mentioned?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

If I could put LED bulb into standard housing, I would. Otherwise, I'd probably just keep mine.
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

5. Back To Top    #5

LED bulbs are available for most of the common housings. Often the best place to look is on eBay.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

IMHO, LED bulbs lead to disappointment. The don't emit enough lumens when compared to a 300 or 500 watt bulb.

Moving your fixture might be possible if your deck box is further away than your folks.

When changing a bulb, I ALWAYS change the lens gasket. Some have done without successfully but its not always the case. Enough so that I don't want to risk getting water in from a leaky gasket. It's not worth the $20 to risk the $400 fixture.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.