Comparing Chlorine Costs

Oct 16, 2011
I was doing the same calculations over and over to determine the cheapest cost of bleach for my pool -- so I created a spreadsheet that assists with this and thought I would share it.

If you find a source for bleach (i.e. Walmart or Albertsons) and want to know if it is cheaper that another source -- which happens to be at a different dilution or quantity, you can do that easily with this sheet.

Just enter the concentration (6,10, 12.5%), the quantity (Gallons or Oz), and the price. The sheet will return for you the price you would pay for the same amount of chlorine in various volumes and concentrations.

The sheet is locked (so that you can only enter into the cells that are input and not into formulas) but it is not password protected, so if you want to fiddle with it, you may just unlock it.

edit:
Doesn't seem that I can attach it, so I put it up on a webserver here:
http://www.david-traub.com/chlorineCalc.xlsx

Nicely done. I like how the prices are extrapolated to reflect the corresponding cost in different concentrations. Makes it easy to compare my cheapest source of household bleach against the pool stores' 12.5% price.

Because all measurements (from a test kit) and additions of chlorine are done using ppm as a unit of measurement, the spreadsheet should reflect the cost per ppm for whatever source of chlorine.

My own spreadsheet has a columns where you enter product volume, concentration, specific density (if bleach), and price. It then calculates the cost per ppm for a 10,000 liter pool. That number can then be scaled for whatever volume pool.

I know that a 30 ppm shock for my pool costs $1.44 using cal-hypo.

CaOCl2 said:
Because all measurements (from a test kit) and additions of chlorine are done using ppm as a unit of measurement, the spreadsheet should reflect the cost per ppm for whatever source of chlorine.

My own spreadsheet has a columns where you enter product volume, concentration, specific density (if bleach), and price. It then calculates the cost per ppm for a 10,000 liter pool. That number can then be scaled for whatever volume pool.

I know that a 30 ppm shock for my pool costs $1.44 using cal-hypo.

Sounds like a great idea!

Can you please post a link to your spreadsheet?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great spreadsheet. I have been trying to figure out if chlorine from the pool store or bleach was cheaper an clearly chlorine from the pool store is cheaper in my area but without this i never would have figured it out. Thanks!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.