Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Comparing Chlorine Costs

1. Back To Top    #1

Comparing Chlorine Costs

I was doing the same calculations over and over to determine the cheapest cost of bleach for my pool -- so I created a spreadsheet that assists with this and thought I would share it.

If you find a source for bleach (i.e. Walmart or Albertsons) and want to know if it is cheaper that another source -- which happens to be at a different dilution or quantity, you can do that easily with this sheet.

Just enter the concentration (6,10, 12.5%), the quantity (Gallons or Oz), and the price. The sheet will return for you the price you would pay for the same amount of chlorine in various volumes and concentrations.

The sheet is locked (so that you can only enter into the cells that are input and not into formulas) but it is not password protected, so if you want to fiddle with it, you may just unlock it.

edit:
    Doesn't seem that I can attach it, so I put it up on a webserver here:
    http://www.david-traub.com/chlorineCalc.xlsx
    Austin, Texas
    30,000 gallon Gunite/Pebble
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP 520 Cartridge 150GPM
    Pentair Whisperflo WF-28 2HP Pump
    Delzone Eclipse 4 Ozone Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Comparing Chlorine Costs

Nicely done. I like how the prices are extrapolated to reflect the corresponding cost in different concentrations. Makes it easy to compare my cheapest source of household bleach against the pool stores' 12.5% price.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Great spreadsheet. Thanks! Makes it handy to compare prices across concentrations. I added a store column to keep track of where I found each item and keep the spreadsheet on my BlackBerry.
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400, Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump VSFHP270JEP; FlowVis FV-C Flow Meter
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes; JVA for draining pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't forget about the Bleach Cost Comparison that someone has shared out on Google Docs. Any that you see from the Minneapolis MN area are probably from me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... zVHemhfdHc
    25000, IG, Vinyl with Hayward S-240 series Sand Filter, Emerson 1081 Pool Motor, Hayward H250 Heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the link, but the owner has apparently not made the document public. I had to request access. They should consider making it publicly accessible.

6. Back To Top    #6

Because all measurements (from a test kit) and additions of chlorine are done using ppm as a unit of measurement, the spreadsheet should reflect the cost per ppm for whatever source of chlorine.

My own spreadsheet has a columns where you enter product volume, concentration, specific density (if bleach), and price. It then calculates the cost per ppm for a 10,000 liter pool. That number can then be scaled for whatever volume pool.

I know that a 30 ppm shock for my pool costs $1.44 using cal-hypo.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    Because all measurements (from a test kit) and additions of chlorine are done using ppm as a unit of measurement, the spreadsheet should reflect the cost per ppm for whatever source of chlorine.

My own spreadsheet has a columns where you enter product volume, concentration, specific density (if bleach), and price. It then calculates the cost per ppm for a 10,000 liter pool. That number can then be scaled for whatever volume pool.

I know that a 30 ppm shock for my pool costs $1.44 using cal-hypo.
    Sounds like a great idea!

Can you please post a link to your spreadsheet?

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the great spreadsheet. I have been trying to figure out if chlorine from the pool store or bleach was cheaper an clearly chlorine from the pool store is cheaper in my area but without this i never would have figured it out. Thanks!!!!
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

It appears that the spreadsheet is gone. Does anyone else have it and can post it here or email it to me.
    JimB
    on the Northcoast of the U.S.A.

24ft AG-13,500 gal-Hayward S-166T high rate sand filter-pump is SplashPak Hp 1spl (whatever that means)-TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Just saw on the Clorox website that their bleach will come concentrated in smaller bottles in August! IDK what concentration, but I'm all for smaller bottles to lug!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JimB
    It appears that the spreadsheet is gone. Does anyone else have it and can post it here or email it to me.
    Is this the spreadsheet you're looking for? Not my creation, just reposting.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks it may be. Haven't tried it yet.
    Thank you for posting.
    JimB
    on the Northcoast of the U.S.A.

24ft AG-13,500 gal-Hayward S-166T high rate sand filter-pump is SplashPak Hp 1spl (whatever that means)-TF100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Is EQArtimus willing to post their spreadsheet again? Thank you!
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG, Vinyl, TF100 test kit, 1HP Waterways Pump, 20 GPM/FT Hayward Sand Filter, 200 BTU Hayward Gas Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Powered Cover

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Pop_s
    Is EQArtimus willing to post their spreadsheet again? Thank you!
    I wish he would. I would love a spreadsheet that calculated the cost per oz....
    29,000 gallon irregularly shaped in ground pool. Plaster. DE Filter. 1 hp pump. Pool approximately 10 years old. Polaris 380 robotic cleaner. Middletown, Delaware.

15. Back To Top    #15

Is this the one you're looking for https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ch%20Chart.xls?
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

16. Back To Top    #16

For any Canadians reading this, Costco has "HTH Max 70" cal-hypo, 70% concentration, a 22,7 kg bucket for 69,99CDN$, it's a great deal, works out to 0,0440$ per ppm (for 10 000 liters)