Forgot primer on Tiger Flex Hose !!

mdcvjd

Sep 28, 2011
HI...

I'm probably worrying for nothing .. but I just finished plumbing my in ground pool with tiger flex hose, and after i was done I realized I completely forgot to apply primer to the main drain connection before the glue !!.. Now, any chances this could leak ?? The pipe will not come out since it is in concrete and I'm assuming there is very little pressure from the MD... ?

Thanks !

I would say no problem at all.
As I understand it the primer is more of a cleaner, unless the pipe was subjected to some abnormal oil/grease the glue alone will probably still hold over 100psi. The solvents in the glue you used will breakdown oil from your hands etc. Since your pipe is concreted in you really don't need strength anyway, just a seal.

I think we all have missed a primer joint or two in our life and I never have seen one fail.

Best of luck,
John

Things I've seen happen with both Tiger and regular Flex:

Collapsed under suction:
Tabs in skimmers cause internal swelling of the walls, often entrapping leaves, acorns, etc... and the clog hangs on like GI Joe with the kung fu grip!
Termites eat it.
Rock impingements from the line rubbing against it.

None of the above occurs with solid core pressure rated pipe.

Scott

Back to the original subject.....

I would repair that joint if it was easy to do. Unprimed joints can and do fail. I think a lot of it depends on how dirty (old) the two end pieces are when you glue them.

The primer is clearly a solvent that removes a tiny portion of the surface of the PVC exposing a fresh surface that readily accepts the glues ability to "weld" the two pieces.

Because the joint is on the suction side (and buried so the two ends can't move much), it is unlikely to cause any significant problems so my thinking would be if you can fix it with an hour or so of work, do so.

If it would take several hours (or some money) to fix, I would probably leave it alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.