Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Forgot primer on Tiger Flex Hose !!

1. Back To Top    #1

Forgot primer on Tiger Flex Hose !!

HI...

I'm probably worrying for nothing .. but I just finished plumbing my in ground pool with tiger flex hose, and after i was done I realized I completely forgot to apply primer to the main drain connection before the glue !!.. Now, any chances this could leak ?? The pipe will not come out since it is in concrete and I'm assuming there is very little pressure from the MD... ?

Thanks !
    13.5K gal, above-ground oval, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 150 sq ft cartridge filter, Baquacil.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Forgot primer on Tiger Flex Hose !!

I would say no problem at all.
    As I understand it the primer is more of a cleaner, unless the pipe was subjected to some abnormal oil/grease the glue alone will probably still hold over 100psi. The solvents in the glue you used will breakdown oil from your hands etc. Since your pipe is concreted in you really don't need strength anyway, just a seal.

I think we all have missed a primer joint or two in our life and I never have seen one fail.

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with John, don't worry about it. It'll be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd be more worried about having used flex instead of solid core hard pipe.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    I'd be more worried about having used flex instead of solid core hard pipe.

Scott
    what dont you like about tiger flex if i may ask?
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

It has been reported to collapse and be permanently clogged. Nothing you can do about it now, and you can likely go a looooong time without any problems. You may never have any.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Things I've seen happen with both Tiger and regular Flex:

Collapsed under suction:
    Tabs in skimmers cause internal swelling of the walls, often entrapping leaves, acorns, etc... and the clog hangs on like GI Joe with the kung fu grip!
    Termites eat it.
    Rock impingements from the line rubbing against it.

None of the above occurs with solid core pressure rated pipe.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Back to the original subject.....

I would repair that joint if it was easy to do. Unprimed joints can and do fail. I think a lot of it depends on how dirty (old) the two end pieces are when you glue them.

The primer is clearly a solvent that removes a tiny portion of the surface of the PVC exposing a fresh surface that readily accepts the glues ability to "weld" the two pieces.

Because the joint is on the suction side (and buried so the two ends can't move much), it is unlikely to cause any significant problems so my thinking would be if you can fix it with an hour or so of work, do so.

If it would take several hours (or some money) to fix, I would probably leave it alone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all for all for replying.. it will stay like that. !
    13.5K gal, above-ground oval, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 150 sq ft cartridge filter, Baquacil.