Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Spicewood (Austin) Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Spicewood (Austin) Texas

Hello there!

I have been lurking around reading this forum for the last couple of days -- good stuff! I am pleased to see people involved and helping each other with what can sometimes be a very confusing subject. And though I have been around pools for most of my life, I have learned a ton here in the last couple of days -- and confirmed some of my own observations.

I designed a pool 2 years ago -- free form with bar stools on one side and a lap lane on the other. One of its best features is a hypar-sail that keeps a good portion of the pool in the shade (the bar stools are in the shade from 10am-6pm). This helps with my chemicals and with keeping the pool cool through the summer.

I was in the wild fires here a month ago -- most of my neighborhood was destroyed, but I managed to save my house -- and have finally gotten the pool drained and refilled (water in yesterday!)

The last 2 years have been relatively problem-free. I have been very rigorous with testing my ph/TA/CL levels and making daily adjustments. I sweep the pool most days (though the Legend Platinum cleaner does a nice job). Anyhow, that was then -- I am now starting all over with new water and a new plan.

My system has been using a auto-feed tab chlorinator -- but now that I understand the issues of CYA build-up, I am going to scrape it and install some kind of bleach pump.

Anyhow, just wanted to give a shout out -- hope I can be helpful -- and any Austin people that want to give me a shout, I am pretty good with the chemical stuff ... and I brew my own beer

Thanks again to all the support out there!

David
    Austin, Texas
    30,000 gallon Gunite/Pebble
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP 520 Cartridge 150GPM
    Pentair Whisperflo WF-28 2HP Pump
    Delzone Eclipse 4 Ozone Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Spicewood (Austin) Texas

Welcome to TFP!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Any chance of some pictures of that pool? Those shade sails are awesome - I wish my HOA wasn't so grumpy.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

I will show construction pics -- the wildfires killed my current one and I am waiting for the replacement...

Austin, Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

Very nice! That last picture is a bit frightening. Did you have a lot of trouble getting the pool cleaned up?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

I am still in process -- had to drain and pressure wash... just got water in it ... it has stains and Im not happy about that ...
    Austin, Texas

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, think of it this way...at least you still have your house. Thank goodness for that.