Best leak detection device

h2o ski

In The Industry
Oct 2, 2011
I'm in the pool business. My most frequent service call is for leaks. I deal primarily with unground vinyl liner pools and a few plaster pools. Is there any certain device that helps you pin point non pressurized still pool leaks rather than diving in?? I don't care to pay as long as the leak is detected.

Thanks

The leak detector Jason pointed only works on liner pools. It will not tell you if a light niche conduit is leaking, nor will it check drain, step gaskets, and wall fittings. That is because there is metal there and the micro currents it senses are drawn to the steel. When it passes over a split seam in a liner or other hole, it finds it every time. I duct tape a crayon to circle the area needing the patch.

You still need to jump in with a dye pen to find gasket and light niche leaks.

Scott

If you do buy that device learn to take care of it. Kinda how someone takes care of a rifle. You can't just load it with batteries and forget it.

You need steel wool to clean the brass on the probe and the float when they tarnish. You need to keep lots of extra AA batteries on hand and 9 volts (I believe it's 16 AA and 2 9volt)

Change the batteries once a season ( or more depending on use), take all batteries out in the off season.

I was also advised to make a mixture of lithium grease and graphite (like you use on door knobs) and place that goop inside on the contacts near the adjustment dials.

You'll need to learn how to find a good ground (by using ladder cups or a metal spike in the ground)

When you are done leak finding the equipment is usually wet and is stored with the electronics, you might want to invest into a desiccant (one you can reactivate in the oven) to keep in the case.

The leak finder works in vinyl and fiberglass pools (although I never used it in fiberglass)

Light shields are a descent investment (not sure if they still sell those, they were big plastic shields that would go over the light to remove the pool light's grounding signal)

Take care of your device; you'd be surprised how many times I get called out because no one else in the area had a working unit.

Anderson has a booth at the Atlantic City pool and spa show. There is usually show pricing and you can see all of the stuff they have for finding leaks in various areas. Also they usually have a tiny pool setup to show you how the device works.

My PB used on of those devices in my pool and it work great! I ended up with 5 leaks that needed patched. Most toenail holes from people climbing up the side wall instead of using the steps......no more climbing my walls. New rule in grammy's pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.