FC really high!?!

On 10/12th my test results were...

FC 3.5
CC 0.5
TC 4
PH 8.2 (added 1/3 gallon muriatic acid the next day)
T/A 70
CH 220
CYA 30 (added 8 lbs stabilizer)
Temp 76
SWG was at 80% and runs 8-5 (although we turn the Pool function on the easytouch remote when we are outside because we like the waterfall and bubbler running - does this also turn on the swg?)

Pool school was Friday 10/14
Chlorine tested "high" on the cheap test kit. The guy lowered the SWG to 40% the pump is set to run from 8-5 at 3000 but again we turn it on at times via the remote because we like the water moving)

Today's results...
FC 14 :shock:
CC 0
TC 14
PH 7.5
T/A 80
CH 260
CYA 60 (I know it isn't as high as it will get since it has only been 4 days since we added the stabilizer)
Temp 76

I turned the SWG to 0% via the easy touch remote but the pump is still running because it is scheduled from 8-5.

What should I do? I would love to have the pump run from 8-8 because I love the waterfall on the spa and the bubbler. Should I leave the SWG at 0% and for how long? Since we have a VS pump, is 3000 too high? I assume (just my assumption and I know nothing, lol) since we added the stabilizer it is holding onto the chlorine like it is supposed to which is why the chlorine level went so high thus we no longer need our SWG at such a high output?!

Shut your SWCG off for a few days and let it come down. Then, you can turn it back on again at a lower percentage setting so that your FC doesn't get so high again.

MM,
0 percent is turning it off. You're doing much better than you're giving yourself credit for! The lights will stay on. You'll probably find that it needs a pretty small percentage to keep the FC up, especially as the days get shorter and the weather cooler. The high FC isn't hurting anything in the meantime.

3000 rpm is pretty high, but if you want to run it its not going to hurt anything but your power bill! Have you tried lowering the rpm and seeing how it affects the flow from the waterfall and bubblers?

Thanks MITS. I am trying to read as much as I can but I still have lots of questions. I agree 3000 rpm is too high and it is defeating the purpose of our variable speed pump. I'm not sure how low I can go to get the proper filtration and save on electricity. I guess it is a learning process of trial and error. I will see tomorrow what 1000 rpm does. Should I run the pump longer at 1000 rpm?

EQArtimus said:
I am curious, what is the pressure reading on the filter when you are running at 3000 and 1000?

IIRC, it dropped from about 15 to 5 when we adjusted the speed down the first time... During pool school, he reset all the air and such, so it was around there.

Then again, wifey (Monkey's Mom) should be at the house, so she could tell you for certain.

MM,
There aren't any hard and fast rules regarding how long to run the pump. With ~19K gallons, you are certainly getting more circulation than you need by running it 12 hrs/day at 3000 rpm.

I would guess that running it for 8-12 hours at maybe 1500 rpm would be plenty. If you cut the time down and it starts looking dirtier than you like, then bumping it up will help.

Do you have an automatic pool cleaner, or are you hand scoopin'?

I see in your build thread you have a Polaris (might be handy to have that in your signature :poke: :) )

You'll just need to do some experimentation! Cut down the time a little (on the main pump and Polaris), and keep cutting it down as long as the pool is staying clean enough. There's no right answer, and I think most of us around here make adjustments as necessary throughout the season. Each pool is a bit different, and you'll get the hang of it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.