Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new plaster and water

1. Back To Top    #1

new plaster and water

Need some newbie advise.

Our pool is old and was just re-plastered (not sure what product they used)

They sprayed a new coating (plaster?) on it yesterday and said it needs to be 'watered down'
    3 times per day. Didn't get any real detail and can't reach them by phone.

Any thoughts on what I should do over the weekend (its Saturday morning now) ?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: new plaster and water

Go ahead and spray it down as they said. Here is the Pool School article for plaster start up. If the information in the article is different than what the builder has told you to do then follow the builder's directions. Then if there are any problems he won't be able to say you caused it by not following their instructions. Have they refilled the pool yet?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

More detail.

The pool is in ground in California. Weather this week is mild (no rain, temps low 50, high 75)

We got no detail from the pool refinishers (well respected local plastering company)

Pool has not been refilled as yet.

Thanks for the help!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome, Bukzin!
    I'm a bit confused by your post; most of the time when a pool is replastered it is refilled pretty much immediately. Any chance you can post a picture of the new surface?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I will get photos ASAP

I think what has been done so far is the pool company has applied
    just the first coat, not the plaster. (Can't get them on the phone)

Does this first coat normally need water sprayed on it twice a day
    for the first 3 days?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

near the swamp

what plaster are they using?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Silver Spring, MD

Fresh plaster needs to be kept wet. Normally this is done by filling the pool immediately, but it is possible to delay filling the pool as long as you keep the plaster wet for several days and it doesn't get too hot (mid-summer in the desert would be a problem). If the plaster dries out during the first few days it will crack.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Arizona & California

From what I have gathered in reading the above posts, I think the plasterer has only applied a somewhat rough "bond" coat that needs to cure and harden for several days before being replastered. It is not the final smooth plaster coat. The plasterer will come back and perform the actual replastering to bond with his first application "bond coat" and then will fill the pool immediately afterwards.