wall fitting for vacuum? Need real-time info

Jun 3, 2007
Just had my pool plastered today and I noticed the installers used the same return fittings for the vacuum suction line. It's one of those threaded fittings that is the right inside diameter for the vac-lock fitting. However, their fittings are inside slip connections into my 1/5" suction line so the flow through the pipe is reduced to what looks like 1" at the fitting.

Is this the right fitting? I was expecting something that wouldn't be restricted, but I'm not sure if it really matters. I need this answered before I give them the final payment tomorrow.

Thanks!

If this is a side suction port for use with a vacuum hose, it should have a spring loaded flap for when it's not being used. Otherwise it's a submerged suction and subjected to the same VGB requirements as any other submerged suction outlet. What they did was wrong!!!!! And dangerous!!!! And Illegal!!!!

Scott

Here is a pic of the fitting. It's a suction-side dedicated line for the pool sweep hose. I can screw in (and ran to the local pool store to buy already) one of those spring loaded safety doors to this wall fitting. The only thing that I know to be worried about is that the "pipe side" of this fitting slips inside my 1.5" PVC line for the vacuum. I was assuming the vacuum fitting would be the type that would have an inside diameter of 1.5", like a normal slip fitting. I'm worried about suctions issues and clogs. Do I also need to be worrying about something dangerous and illegal?

[attachment=0:3hlyzfgj]photo.JPG[/attachment:3hlyzfgj]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 228
There is some ambiguity as to whether VGB applies to vacuum lines for cleaners. Section 1.1.5.2 of ANSI/ASME A112.19.8 specifies: "Vacuum connection covers shall be excluded from evaluation to this Standard." However, there are new versions of the law being released all of the time and this exclusion might have been deleted. Also, the exclusion is for the covers, not the lines, which seems confusing.

I think that the relevant standards are ANSI/APSP-7 (American National Standard for Suction Entrapment Avoidance in Swimming Pools, Wading Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, and Catch Basins) and IAPMO SPS4-99A (Special Use Suction Fittings for Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs (for suction side automatic swimming pool cleaners)). I think that the standards are voluntary unless they have been adopted by local ordinance/building code.

Either way, the vacuum port should have an IAPMO SPS4 compliant cover and a valve at the equipment pad to close the line when not in use.

http://www.poolsafely.gov/wp-content/uploads/apsp.pdf

http://www.poolspanews.com/2010/011/011safety.html

Thanks JW.

I've got the safety cover in place. I've spoken with a couple of people and everyone seems to think that the inside diameter of 1" through the fitting isn't a big deal. Once I have the pool sweep running I'll let everyone know how it works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.