Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turn SWG off for the winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dripping Springs, TX

Turn SWG off for the winter?

Hello everyone,

I have been debating turning my SWG off for the winter and dosing the pool with bleach. My reasoning is that
    the chlorine demand is low in the winter, so I can save some of the life of the cell by turning it off.

I know I can turn down the percentage, but turning it completely off would seem to give me more usable hours out of it.

Is this a viable strategy?

Suggestions/recommendations/accusations welcome!

17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Califorina

Re: Turn SWG off for the winter?

Definitely can be done. You will just need to keep CYA/FC in check. Chlorine consumption will go way down. Even though I have solar going and my water temps are upper 80's the loss of light has dropped my daily FC consumption in half to about 1 ppm a day. I am going to run my SWCG every other day. The $$$ you save in the cell will likely be spent on bleach. Give it a try, keep a log and see how much bleach you go through over a couple weeks. Run the numbers and see if it is worth the trouble.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston, Texas

I'm considering this as well. During the summer my Aquarite was set at about 20% and the pump was running about 5.5 to 6 hours a day. My chlorine stayed around 6-7 ppm. Now that fall has arrived I've lowered the percentage to around 10% and reduced the pump time to around 4 hours a day but chlorine has risen to about 8 ppm.

I'll try lowering the setting to around 5% and cutting back the pump run time to around 3 hours a day. If it's still high I'd just as soon turn the SWG off and add bleach every few days.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Many SWGs cease functioning somewhere around 55 degrees. A few continue to work even in the cold but are much less efficient than usual. I recommend turning off a SWG when the water gets down to 50 degree, if not sooner, and switching to manual chlorination (which is much easier than usual because of the cold water).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Pentair IC40 and was wondering about this as well. My Cl is ~ 17ppm right now with the cover on <yikes> so I've reduced the output to 0. Does anyone know if this is good enough as far as turning the IEC off or should I go further and unplug this thing? I don't see a key press combination that turns it off beyond 0% output...
    18,000gal IG with FG finish + spa, Pentair CCP 420 filter, Pentair VS pump, Hayward AQR15 SWCG, Polaris 360, 325k BTU heater...