Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much of an salt increase with 1 or 2 TriChlor pucks ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much of an salt increase with 1 or 2 TriChlor pucks ?

Measured Salt level today 3150 and want to raise to about 3700-3900 (pools stats in sig)

Since I also need to increase Cyanuric Acid by about 10-20, would 2 TriChlor hockey pucks be sufficient to raise Salt to that level ?

How much would a 2.5 gallon(12%) liquid bleach container(from Leslie's) raise salt ? My estimate is around 500-600ppm for the liquid, not sure about the 2 hockey pucks.

Yes, I know it is easy to add CYA and Salt separately but I have a large supply of unused Leslie's TriChlor pucks so wanted to see if this would be a simple way to achieve (1) increase salt, (2) gently increase Cya, (3) deplete tab supply slowly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much of an salt increase with 1 or 2 TriChlor pucks

Assuming those are 8 oz pucks, http://www.poolcalculator.com/ says each puck will raise FC by 3.7, raise CYA by 2.2, and raise salt by 3 in your 15000 gallon pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The tabs are called 3-Inch Jumbo Tabs, no reference on container to oz or grams

320 oz (2.5 gallons) liquid would raise salt 27-34

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    The tabs are called 3-Inch Jumbo Tabs, no reference on container to oz or grams
    They're either 7 or 8 oz. Either way, it will take a lot of them to affect CYA and salt!

If you don't have a postage scale or a diet scale in the kitchen, put one in a baggie and bring it to the grocery store the next time you go and ask them to weigh it when you get to the register. Or take it to the post office, there's usually some sort of self-service scale in the lobby.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Important note to all husbands...please, PLEASE don't use your wife's diet scale for measuring chemicals without asking first. They HATE that. Ask me how I know.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Susa,

You are making it a little too complicated. Raise CYA by adding CYA....you'll need what's left over in the Spring.

Raise salt by adding salt.

Now you're done!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School