Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 leaks. Filter and pump

1. Back To Top    #1

2 leaks. Filter and pump

Yet another issue with my pool. This time my question is about 2 leaks i found by my equipment. I noticed about 1 month ago that there is a very slow drip coming from the bottom ?drain plug? Of my pentair tagelus sand filter. About 1 drip every few seconds. I noticed the other drip this am. It was another slow drip coming from the top outflow from my pentair whisperflow pump, from around a black rubbery ?ring between the pump and the pvc piping leading to the filter. The equip was new last fall. I would appreciate repAir advice/ advice as to how urgent this is. Please keep in mind Im extremely unhandy and was planning on having the pool builder fix it in a few weeks when he closes the pool unless you think its too urgent to wait. Thank you in advance for your help. I think im due some frequent flyer miles at this point!
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 leaks. Filter and pump

Did you try tightening the plug on the filter?

If the installer put an O-ring on the male threaded fitting, he's a ninny. All it needs is Teflon based thread sealant and or Teflon tape. Unsupported O-rings deform.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the speedy advice. I can tighten the plug on the filter asap. I was going to leave the pump outflow repair to my pool builder when he comes to close my pool in November or is that too long to wait? The oring at the top of the pump looks deteriorated to me so yes the poolbuilder must be a ninny.
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

Let it be his choice but notify him of the issue now.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.