Anyone used more than one waterline tile?

Barbja

Sep 3, 2011
Has anyone here ever used more than one type/color of waterline tile on parts of their pool?

My pool will be geometric with two sides lined with a medium to dark brown ledger stone wall topped with blustone, and the other two sides lined with grey-ish cantilevered decking/coping.

I just cannot see the same color waterline tile looking good with both materials. Generally I would pick something blue-ish to go with the grey, but that would REALLY stand out against the ledger stone and look pretty un-natural. I would ordinarily pick something more natural brown-ish to go under the ledger stone.

Perhaps a glass dark gunmetal mosaic all around?

Suggestions?

Good question. Do you have access to actual samples of the materials (bluestone and ledger stone) and tile? I guess I would try and get a tile that incorporates the blue and the brown. Sounds easy, huh?

Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

We hired a designer to put our ideas on paper and she figured out all of the calculations for us as far as the material we needed. Originally she said we needed 120 square feet of tile. We looked around until we found some close out tile that we liked. We bought all they had just in case we broke any or the calcs were off a little. It turned out we deeded 150 feet of tile. Since it was a close out tile we had to either buy all new tile, find something that closely matched it and hope nobody noticed, or get a second style of tile that complements the first tile. The first tiles we bought were a grayish 6 inch tile and we finally found some much darker grayish/black mosaic tiles that complemented them well. We only used the mosaics in the spa and spillover area to keep a consistent look though.
We went with a stamped concrete for our decking and it did not look good with our tile at all but we pressed on with the build anyways. One thing we realized was that the decking needs to match your landscaping and the waterline tile needs to match your plaster, pebble, quartz or waterever you use for the bottom of your pool. There is a very distinct separation between the decking and the actual pool and that is fine. Check out my picture and you will see what I mean.

In your pool I would keep the waterline tile consistent even though the materials around it changed.

In the picture below I absolutely hated how the decking didn't match the tile.
316465_10150826942330397_781160396_20808660_2015396821_n.jpg

Then after installing the plaster and filling with water I realized that it looks great. The tile and plaster match, and the decking matches the landscaping.
317295_10150856537615397_781160396_21012055_224057474_n.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.