Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ton of rain...CYA / CC /FC question. Where did I go wrong?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ton of rain...CYA / CC /FC question. Where did I go wrong?

Just when I think I have this stuff figured out, the pool gods throw another situation at me! Sunday, we received about 5” of rain at my house. A couple of times throughout the day I would add a half bottle of bleach here, another half bottle there…etc.

Well, about 8pm I go outside and notice that my pool is right on the edge and about to overflow. So, I turn my valve to Waste and drop it about 3-4 inches. When I get home yesterday, my FC is 2.0 and my CC’s are 2.0 as well. Panic sets in! I immediately see what it takes to bring me up to shock level and overdo it by about 90 oz. All day we have been adding bleach (wife texting and she’s adding as need be). Then, just about 30 mins ago it hit me…what if my CYA is gone?! She reads the directions and did several CYA tests and is comfortable with it. She’s consistently coming up with CYA of 25 (it was 40-45 on Saturday).

So, needless to say I’m getting some stabilizer on the way home as well as a lot of bleach. I’m confident we caught it in time and pretty sure I know what to do to get it right.

My question to the peanut gallery is Where did I go wrong? I didn’t want chlorinated water to spill out into my yard, but I’m sure by dumping water I flushed CYA literally down the drain. What could I have done different?
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ton of rain...CYA / CC /FC question. Where did I go wron

Have more CYA on hand... It is inherent, with water replacement you will need more CYA and FC. Since you have a plaster pool, i'd check the calcium level too... i'd bet it will be lower also. IMHO
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do you have runoff that drains INTO your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

No, no runoff in the pool. Just a ton of rain water.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Well, 5" of rain in a typical pool of 48" AVERAGE depth (I'm guessing) is only about 10% of your water. That means your CYA should've dropped by only 5%, CH and FC about the same, pH is hard to predict.

I am puzzled by the sudden jump in your CC's. IMO, rain would not be the cause of that unless run-off got INTO the pool. Hopwever, it's there so you are doing the right thing by shocking.

I have never experienced any amount of rain making much change in my pool at all and, if you do the math, it shouldn't. You are not the first one to post something similar, however. I just can't figure out the cause.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

We swam a lot on Saturday. That could have been part of it?

7. Back To Top    #7

Put CYA in up for a 45 level, got pH down to 7.2 (got up to roughly 8.0) and maintaining shock level. Added MA an hour and a half ago and just ran tests. FC is still at 27.5 (.5 below level I had it at prior to adding chemicals) and CC is hardly showing up now (was 1.0) prior to chemicals).

Will continue shock levels tomorrow and do OCLT tomorrow night. Does anyone think it's too soon to do an OCLT tonight?

8. Back To Top    #8

Be careful with the pH and the acid - high FC throws the color test off. Best thing is to ignore pH until shocking is done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I already did it, but I'll keep this in mind.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm a little perplexed here... FC's still drop significantly day AND night but my CC's are not bad at all. CC's are not getting to 1.0 anymore, but my FC is going somewhere! I added the CYA a couple of nights ago, so I can't really tell what level my CYA is, but I put in enough to get me to 45.

Water looks great, CC's are fine but my FC's are dropping like a rock no a regular basis. I have no coloration on any walls and we have been scrubbing/vac'ing anyways just to be safe.

Thoughts?

11. Back To Top    #11

Have you ran the OCLT? That'll let you know if you need to properly shock. It certainly sounds like you have something growing in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Have you ran the OCLT? That'll let you know if you need to properly shock. It certainly sounds like you have something growing in there.
    I did it last night/this morning. Lost 4ppm of FC overnight and my CC's were only .5 this morning. We've maintained shock levels the whole time since Tuesday. Water is beautiful which is why I'm perplexed. The only thing not qualifying me as "passing" the OCLT is the loss of FC overnight.

13. Back To Top    #13

Have you checked any ladders or nooks and cranies of the pool to where maybe algae or something may be growing?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

Also from reading here your FC drops by percentage not a number. So the higher the FC, the more that the FC will drop as compared to lower numbers. But if you are losing that much overnight then something is there just not visible.

Maybe post a pic if you can.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by htownjeeper
    I'm a little perplexed here... FC's still drop significantly day AND night but my CC's are not bad at all. CC's are not getting to 1.0 anymore, but my FC is going somewhere! I added the CYA a couple of nights ago, so I can't really tell what level my CYA is, but I put in enough to get me to 45.

Water looks great, CC's are fine but my FC's are dropping like a rock no a regular basis. I have no coloration on any walls and we have been scrubbing/vac'ing anyways just to be safe.

Thoughts?
    Yeah, I got thoughts. You need to shock your pool.
    FC loss at night means that there is something alive in the water. Maybe not enough to see or feel yet, but your chlorine knows it's there and it's trying to kill it.

Bump your FC up to shock level for your CYA; since you added enough to reach 45, assume 45 and shock. KEEP the FC level at shock value until there is no longer an overnight loss.

Start on this now.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

16. Back To Top    #16

Was 27.5 at 11am today. Wife just tested and it's at 23.0 CC was at .5 at 11am and 1.0 now.

She's sending me a pic of the water now.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Yeah, I got thoughts. You need to shock your pool.
    FC loss at night means that there is something alive in the water. Maybe not enough to see or feel yet, but your chlorine knows it's there and it's trying to kill it.

Bump your FC up to shock level for your CYA; since you added enough to reach 45, assume 45 and shock. KEEP the FC level at shock value until there is no longer an overnight loss.

Start on this now.
    Maybe I haven't been clear... I've been shocking since Tuesday. FC's haven't been below 20 not one single minute. And that is only once. We've kept it in the 23-25 range almost the whole time.

18. Back To Top    #18

Literally 5 minutes ago:

19. Back To Top    #19

Oops. Yes, you were clear; 'Twas I who was only skimming the posts and missed that.
    So... yeah, you're on the right track. Make sure you don't have a squirrel in a skimmer basket somewhere.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by htownjeeper
    Maybe I haven't been clear... I've been shocking since Tuesday. FC's haven't been below 20 not one single minute. And that is only once. We've kept it in the 23-25 range almost the whole time.
    I need to correct myself. It's been at shock level since Monday evening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast