Plaster finished yesterday and almost full of water...Now?

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, so the plaster was installed yesterday and we have been filling with water overnight. The pool is approximately 12,500 gallons according to the meter at the curb. We were expecting closer to 16,000 so either the curb meter is wrong or our pool is smaller than we thought. Either way is fine with me...

I have the main pump(Jandy 2hp variable speed Stealth) running at full speed and the spa is clearing up nicely but the pool is still very cloudy, which is expected with the new plaster. I guess what I need to know is what chemicals do I need to buy, and how much. What is the best place to buy them, Home Depot or Pool store?

pH-----I have a digital pH meter that you just dip in the water and it has a digital display to read the pH. I am not sure how accurate these are, but it worked great when I used it for hydroponics so I thought I would give it a try here. When I tested the pH it says it is about 9-9.2 So I need to know what I should add to bring the pH down to proper levels.

Chlorine----I have not added any chlorine yet. We have a salt system but were told that we have to use chlorine for the first 30 days since the salt is not good for the plaster at this time. So how much chlorine will I need? I don't want to buy a whole 5 gallon bucket if I won't need that much.

Thanks for all the help guys, and I will post some pics as soon as I finish the landscaping

Re: Plaster finished yesterday and almost full of water...No

I'd start with some Tricholr tablets in a floater or in the skimmer if you keep the pump running 24/7. They will help to lower your ph, add CYA and add chlorine; all of which you need now. you should be able to use them and chlorine for the first 30 days and then you will need add salt and start the SWG! :cheers: :goodjob:

Yes, we are keeping it running 24/7 for a few days until the cloudiness goes away. The plumbers were just here so I had them button up a few things and check on the autofill I just installed so while they were here I had them label all of the valves so that should help me out a bit.

I wouldn't trust that digital meter. Accurate test results is the place to begin.

If you do not have your own test kit, at the very least take a sample to the pool store and test for pH, TA, and CH. There is no CYA nor FC in the pool at this point but you'll need to get some soon. I am personally not fond of starting up with tabs because I think they are misleading. If you already purchased, however, you can work with them.

What you really need to know is not what chemicals to buy but rather the current status of your water. Read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry to get you off to a good start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.