Crushed limestone or sand pool base?

Aug 7, 2011
Lafayette, La
I have been debating back and forth as to go with sand as the base or crushed fine limestone on top of the dirt. I plan on using a 1/2 foam pad with foam coves but just wondered how many people used the limestone then just a pad if it provided enough comfort. I read somewhere that if u use the pad directly on top the sand u risk messing up your sand bed with footprints etc when u have to walk around an install the line. The reason I ask is that I am thinking that the limestone would remain firmer after packing and watering it down plus it is readily available in my area. Oh and obviously I will be levelling the concrete pads in the limestone for the post/supports

This was my first year with an AGP. This year I just put my pool right on the lawn. No problems as the lot only sloped about 2 inches. Next year I plan to level the lot then use 1 inch pink EPS foam boards. These are very dense, stable and provide insulation for the bottom of the pool. Price might be slightly more expensive than sand but it is much less labor intensive and easier to remove.

copotay, I can't address limestone on top of dirt. But I can tell you what happened with our first above ground pool. Long story short but the landscaper we used put limestone rock around our pool walls and corrosion set in immediately right where the rock touched the walls but nowhere else. At the time I wasn't absolutely sure what was causing it so I called a Metallurgist and his words to me were, "Get that rock away from the walls as fast as you can!" And then went onto explain what was happening. So, we did. Thankfully, the company where we purchased our pool from recognized the problem shortly thereafter and replaced the pool at no cost to us and we then put down river rock. We haven't had a problem since. Just saying...be careful with limestone.

Tks for the nfo, I was a little worried about using limestone for sure around the outside for landscaping, but now I'm kinda worried about using it just under the liner where it could come in contact with inside of the wall even though the pool I am buying has the resin bottom rails that the wall will sit in.

And tks BBB I saw where some people use the foam boards, just never thought of looking at it before

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.