Closing

apayne

Jul 24, 2011
I'm in the midst of lowering the pool level (6 inches below return) in our above ground pool and it's killing me to watch all the water drain out. We plan on removing the pump and filter unit to store indoors. Is there any reason I have to lower the level that much? Thanks! This is the our first time closing.

It all depends on how much rain you are going to get over the winter, if you have decorative tile at the water line, and how careful you are about keeping water from accumulating on the cover. You don't want the water level (counting both below the cover and water on top of the cover) getting up to either the very bottom of the skimmer or the tile. Six inches is usually a fairly safe level, but somewhat higher is alright if you either get very little rain/snow, or are especially methodical about removing water on the cover.

I live in upstate NY, plus we are located at a high elevation, so we get LOTS of snow and very cold winters. I am concerned that if we lower too much the weight of the snow will pull the cover off. So what is the reasoning behind lowering the level? I understand if you keep your pump and filter connected you don't want water flowing into the pump and freezing. I've noticed some folks don't lower at all just close off the skimmer and return, is that for warmer locations? We don't have tile. Thanks for your reply.

The primary purpose is to keep water from getting back into the plumbing after the plumbing has been drained. There is also an issue in colder climates where a very large and solid block of ice forms. If the ice shifts for any reason it can tear out any fitting which projects out from the pool wall (say the skimmer face plate). Covering the skimmer without draining the pool at all is only really appropriate in warmer climates, where the ice layer will be fairly thin and can't damage the skimmer face plate.

Thanks. So I sense you would recommend the 6 inches? The pool cover mentions not to go lower than 6 inches from the top of the pool. I'm concerned with the weight of the snow, sometimes it's light and fluffy but those spring storms bring that heavy wet snow. I sense this cover will never last the 12 yr warranty period!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.