Replacing gasket on hayward SP710XR50 multiport valve

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I decided to change the gasket on my filter multiport valve since there were some symptoms that pointed that it needed to be changed.

I opened the valve yesterday and tried to remove the gasket, which turned out to be somewhat problematic since the gasket is stuck there. :hammer:

It seems that gasket is glued or baked into the plastic frame. I can pry off a little section at the time and even then it seems that it's just piece of rubber that stretches and not the gasket coming out.

Am I missing something? Or should I simply get it out, possible piece by piece? It seems very likely that it will tear of and not come out in one piece. Since I'm replacing it, I'm not very concerned about a well being of the old gasket, I just want to be sure that I'm not missing anything and that I'm not going to damage something else in the process.

Thanks!

some reading online yielded the fact that gasket can indeed be glued... so that answers my question.

the glue recommended for the gasket is loctite 401,403 or 416. the first and the last one is ethyl cyanoacrylate, which is basically crazy glue. some other sites mentioned PVC glue.

anyone tried crazy glue for this application?

Crazy Glue works. There are actually a lot of things that work, including several that aren't really glues at all. I've see a lot of strong opinions on what should be used, but they all disagree with each other. There isn't any clear favorite.

You can usually scrape the old gasket off with a flat blade screw driver fairly easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.