Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting the most recycling dollars out of an old motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting the most recycling dollars out of an old motor?

I have an old hayward pump motor. I know very well how to get the pump off and remove it to have a clean motor left. But I'm wondering if there's any way to get to the copper coils inside using tools you can buy at a hardware store? It's for an old super max. It has a silver casing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting the most recycling dollars out of an old motor?

I just let the junk man deal with it when I bring my dead motors in.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I replace blower motors at work on occasion. I used to let my son take them apart (better those than something I DON'T want disassembled by an 8 year old) and turn in the separate metals. I got to thinking abut it, and it's so labor intensive to separate metals from a motor that it doesn't seem worth it. I don't mess with steel because it takes so much room to have any appreciable dollar value. By the time it's broken down to copper and aluminum, we're better off taking the value as irony(mixed metal/motors). (The locks I have to destroy get taken apart for the brass, and the video cable strips easily for the clean #2 copper)
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, I guess since I cant find any info online about it, that must mean it's not an easy task. I just wondered if there were maybe a hidden inner screw set that makes the whole thing fall apart or something of the sort.

I would have a ton of clean copper by now.

5. Back To Top    #5

When a motor shop needs to rewind a motor, they don't waste time trying to pick out the copper. They burn it out in special ovens called, appropriately enough, burn out ovens. They know that it is way too time and labor consuming to even try to salvage any of it.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

BTW, most motors use copper that is covered in varnish. A scrap yard would want that removed for top dollar.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

7. Back To Top    #7

motors use copper that is covered in varnish
    It's worse than that. The wire itself is enameled, but the windings, once in the stator, are usually potted in with an epoxy solution to create a single, monolithic block. It's often done with VPI, or vacuum-pressure impregnation, where the assembly is placed in a chamber and all the air is evacuated, then epoxy is injected under pressure into the windings. It eliminates any movement within the wires from heat, physical, or magnetic shock.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]