startup for new pool

CARSON

Mar 29, 2011
Hello everyone, I am almost finished with my pool and am looking for pointers on how to get started once it has been filled with water.

Pool details are:
14,000 gallon gunite
Sparkle quartz plaster
CircuPool RJ30 SWG
IntelliFlow VS-AU pump (variable speed)
8' x 6.5' overflow oval spa with eight jets
Pentair superflow 1 hp water feature pump (can also use the IntelliFlow pump for the waterfall when the spa is not in use)
400,000 btu pentair natural gas heater

After reading about plumbing on this site I decided to go with large plumbing:
Two skimmers with 2" pvc individually piped to the pump pad
One 3" drain from the pool
One 3" drain from the spa
2" suction side cleaner line (no trees anywhere near the pool)
2.5" pool return, splits to two 2" lines with two 1.5" returns each (four returns total)
2.5" piping to the spa jets
2" air line to the jets (no blower yet)

I have read Pool School and often refer back to it to get a better understanding.

What I am after is suggestions for pump run time(s) and at what speed and output percentage for the SWG. I realize that it will be trial and error to get everything right but am hoping to take some of the guess work out with pointers from experienced pool owners from this awesome forum (this is my first pool).
Thank you for any comments or suggestions.

Before you get to anything like routine operation you first need to go through about four weeks of new plaster startup. During that period you run the pump 24/7, probably use trichlor tablets in the skimmer (or tablet feeder), and add acid daily (or more often) to keep the PH from getting too high. You don't want to add salt or adjust TA or CH during the startup period.

CARSON said:
Ok, I will read "start up new plaster" in Pool School again. I will get some acid and trichlor tablets to start out. Thanks again.
Wow, this a lot more work than I imagined! I'm just learning how to work on pools and never thought about plaster and such. Where do you shop for cheap pool supplies?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.