Wet Niche Conduit

Jul 23, 2010
Miramar, FL
After removing the light fixture from my spa, I noticed there is no seal to prevent water intrusion into the niche (probably why it's called a "wet niche"). That also means the 1" conduit will always be filled with water - up to the water level of the spa, which is about 2' below the ThermoCraft junction box. This seems strange to me. Is this the way it is properly designed to be?

Thanks! By the way, while digging around the spa with a shovel, the 1" coupler attaching a conduit elbow to the stub-out from the spa slipped off. That doesn't happen with properly glued conduit. Apparently the pool builder (Venetian Custom Pool and Spa) ran out of glue and decided to use PVC cleaner to "glue" the fitting. Unfortunately, he probably used the same method to glue all the electrical pieces together.

I've discovered PVC conduit buried underground w/ no glue. I don't know what possesses electricians to bury conduit assembled as a slip-fit unit, but there seems to be a running theme.

On a semi-related note, I also found a home air conditioner drain line assembled from 1/2" PVC pine which was not glued either. Something to consider when blowing out the drain. Now I always vacuum the lines w/ a wet-dry from outside instead of blowing it from the inside. Never assume, I suppose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.