Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wet Niche Conduit

1. Back To Top    #1

Wet Niche Conduit

After removing the light fixture from my spa, I noticed there is no seal to prevent water intrusion into the niche (probably why it's called a "wet niche"). That also means the 1" conduit will always be filled with water - up to the water level of the spa, which is about 2' below the ThermoCraft junction box. This seems strange to me. Is this the way it is properly designed to be?
    14,000 gallon pool-spa combination.
    Cartridge filter.
    Inground pool.
    Shotcrete construction.
    3hp Pentair pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wet Niche Conduit

Quote Originally Posted by markjones
    Is this the way it is properly designed to be?
    Yes
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

As bk406 said, that is the way they are normally done.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! By the way, while digging around the spa with a shovel, the 1" coupler attaching a conduit elbow to the stub-out from the spa slipped off. That doesn't happen with properly glued conduit. Apparently the pool builder (Venetian Custom Pool and Spa) ran out of glue and decided to use PVC cleaner to "glue" the fitting. Unfortunately, he probably used the same method to glue all the electrical pieces together.
    14,000 gallon pool-spa combination.
    Cartridge filter.
    Inground pool.
    Shotcrete construction.
    3hp Pentair pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've discovered PVC conduit buried underground w/ no glue. I don't know what possesses electricians to bury conduit assembled as a slip-fit unit, but there seems to be a running theme.

On a semi-related note, I also found a home air conditioner drain line assembled from 1/2" PVC pine which was not glued either. Something to consider when blowing out the drain. Now I always vacuum the lines w/ a wet-dry from outside instead of blowing it from the inside. Never assume, I suppose.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]