Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover and wind surprise

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover and wind surprise

Well, I just learned a lesson yesterday. For those of you that may be new to solar covers like me, FYI, when there is a fair amount of wind and your solar cover is on, there is the possibility of the reel flying INTO the pool !! Not once, but twice yesterday that happened. I finally rolled the solar cover up on the reel to keep it from flying back into the pool. Just a lesson learned that I thought I would pass along.It's not fun fishing that thing out of the pool.
    Hope this helps someone!
    B
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover and wind surprise

That happend to me a few times. I got rid of that reel and bought a Rocky's Rollar reel. They anchor to the pool deck so no chance of going into the pool.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

i got a wingless one so it stays put, specially with a sturdy boulder attached to each leg
    http//:a-brit-in-spain.blogspot.com

8 x 4 gunite inground

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, I was talking with a friend about this and she suggested sand bags on either side. Think I will give that a go. I didn't get the Rockey reel because we don't want anything permanently anchored, we plan to put it away once it gets warmer/colder outside.
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles

I didn't get the Rockey reel because we don't want anything permanently anchored,.
    Not sure where you got the idea that they are permanently anchored. They attach to the deck with removable anchor screws. You just unscrew each side and roll the reel out of the way.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.