Using the pool as a reservoir in case of emergency.....

tgmb

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
san jose, ca.
If we were forced to use our pools for drinking water, how would we be able to safely do so? Chlorine is self limiting, and depending on your level on any given day, would quickly drift down.(Federal guidelines for drinking water chlorine levels list the recommended upper level at about 4 ppm.) CYA, from what I have read, is essentially non-toxic, unless mixed with Melamine-is that true? For Borates, the LD 50 is 2.66g/kg in rats; how that would that work out in a human at 50 ppm? (Would Borates be stored by the body, or eliminated?) Salt is rather self-explanatory. You would have to assume that you would be supplying adults, children, and animals, as you would quickly become a community supply point.

So, hypothetical situation as follows. Power is down, no potable water available except your pool, which you suspect is not quite potable. What methods would you use to make it potable, based on, say: FC 4, CYA 40, Borates 50, pH 7.4, CH 300, TA 100. You could also work the problem with sodium 3000 ppm, just for additional complexity. (We'll hypothesize that since you use BBB, you have no algaecide in your water...)

Tom

I guess it really comes down to borates and CYA and whether or not they are safe substances is drinking water. Chlorine, calcium, pH, and TA are all components of most municipal water supplies and are delivered straight to the tap in most cases.

I have not read the linked posts, but I believe it all boils down circumstance. After most disasters FEMA ARC and etc are pretty quick with bottled water. Pool water might be very beneficial for washing and other needs.

If the pool is the only option for drinking water then I'd have to assume all heck has broken loose. Cancer risks from too much chlorine and other chemicals would be at the very bottom of the concern list. Dehydration can kill in 24 hours on a hot summer day - much faster then the chemicals will hurt you.

Following this same logic when lost/stranded in the wilderness it can be advisable to drink water that is known to have Giardia. Sick in 48 hours is better then dead in 24 in a survival situation. Hopefully you will have help/ rescue by the time you get sick.

I have been pondering this as well, and my first order of business in an emergency will be to cover my pool, and hook up the genny to it. While I only have a porous safety cover, If I can filter it for ~3-4 hours a day with minimal sunlight getting in, I believe that I can keep it semi potable. I will also guard this diligently. While there are many sources of H2O near me, NONE are as clean and as desireable as my pool. I will still boil and filter.

I can hunt and fish, but I will not squander the resource that I have in my backyard.

wow.......deep thoughts on Subject. I jsut dont find myself thinking about these things. I figure if it comes to that, then we are all done anyways. Nuclear fallout, bilogical pathogens....kinda makes worrying about drinking pool water non important in my book. :mrgreen:

Stock up on Beer- you'll be good to go! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.