Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using the pool as a reservoir in case of emergency.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Using the pool as a reservoir in case of emergency.....

If we were forced to use our pools for drinking water, how would we be able to safely do so? Chlorine is self limiting, and depending on your level on any given day, would quickly drift down.(Federal guidelines for drinking water chlorine levels list the recommended upper level at about 4 ppm.) CYA, from what I have read, is essentially non-toxic, unless mixed with Melamine-is that true? For Borates, the LD 50 is 2.66g/kg in rats; how that would that work out in a human at 50 ppm? (Would Borates be stored by the body, or eliminated?) Salt is rather self-explanatory. You would have to assume that you would be supplying adults, children, and animals, as you would quickly become a community supply point.

So, hypothetical situation as follows. Power is down, no potable water available except your pool, which you suspect is not quite potable. What methods would you use to make it potable, based on, say: FC 4, CYA 40, Borates 50, pH 7.4, CH 300, TA 100. You could also work the problem with sodium 3000 ppm, just for additional complexity. (We'll hypothesize that since you use BBB, you have no algaecide in your water...)

Tom
    20k gal. 36' In ground Med. Blue plaster, two-speed EcoPump EP6, Pentair 3.14 sq. Ft. Sand w/zeosand, Spectralight SL 500, RayPak 2100 heater, Polaris 360,GE Timer 15087, Borates 80 ppm.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using the pool as a reservoir in case of emergency.....

I guess it really comes down to borates and CYA and whether or not they are safe substances is drinking water. Chlorine, calcium, pH, and TA are all components of most municipal water supplies and are delivered straight to the tap in most cases.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

This issue was also addressed here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

get a TFC RO unit and a 12v pressure pump. Stock up on iodine
    Pool cleaning service for Coral springs and all of broward. wet world aquatics Using science to give your pool and aquarium the best year ever.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have not read the linked posts, but I believe it all boils down circumstance. After most disasters FEMA ARC and etc are pretty quick with bottled water. Pool water might be very beneficial for washing and other needs.

If the pool is the only option for drinking water then I'd have to assume all **** has broken loose. Cancer risks from too much chlorine and other chemicals would be at the very bottom of the concern list. Dehydration can kill in 24 hours on a hot summer day - much faster then the chemicals will hurt you.

Following this same logic when lost/stranded in the wilderness it can be advisable to drink water that is known to have Giardia. Sick in 48 hours is better then dead in 24 in a survival situation. Hopefully you will have help/ rescue by the time you get sick.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

7. Back To Top    #7

Among other things, the posts mention how you can use water from your hot water heater in an emergency. That would normally be your first source of clean water if you didn't have bottled water available.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Tankless hot water system here...guess I'll be drinking from the dog's bowl...lol.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I have been pondering this as well, and my first order of business in an emergency will be to cover my pool, and hook up the genny to it. While I only have a porous safety cover, If I can filter it for ~3-4 hours a day with minimal sunlight getting in, I believe that I can keep it semi potable. I will also guard this diligently. While there are many sources of H2O near me, NONE are as clean and as desireable as my pool. I will still boil and filter.

I can hunt and fish, but I will not squander the resource that I have in my backyard.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

10. Back To Top    #10

wow.......deep thoughts on Subject. I jsut dont find myself thinking about these things. I figure if it comes to that, then we are all done anyways. Nuclear fallout, bilogical pathogens....kinda makes worrying about drinking pool water non important in my book.

Stock up on Beer- you'll be good to go!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Your neighbours and rampaging thugs will attempt to take your supply of water by force, or the gov't comes with a big vac truck to suck it up and "spread the wealth".

I'm just sayin.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I can make beer from my pool water!

I don't think about it a lot, just enough to have a plan.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster