My husband I just purchased a house with a pool and are trying to figure it all out! Up until March the pool was completely enclosed, but sometime while the house was on the market the building caved in on the pool. The owners removed the building, completely drained the pool, and made it "swim-ready" for us as part of the purchase contract, and it looked beautiful. We took ownership of the house a couple of weeks ago, had two rains right around that time. The pool had a significant # of leaves in it and started turning greenish. With the help of a pool guy we got it cleaned up and added acid as well as shocked the pool. That was a week ago. Within a few days chlorine was back at zero, so I shocked it again Sunday night with 3 gallons 6% bleach. My tests were showing low chlorine again, so today I had the water tested at a local pool store:
FC = 0.2
TC = 0.3
pH = 7.8
CH = 310
TA = 167
Iron = 0.22
They suggested I treat with additional muriatic acid to bring down the TA and pH, then shock the pool again followed by adding stabilizer. She said the lack of stabilizer is what's causing the chlorine to go down so fast. She also gave me a short lecture about adding bleach to my pool, but whatever.
Finally, they also said I need to treat the iron because it is to high and could cause corrosion in my pump, heater, etc.
I'm looking for other opinions to either confirm or replace this advice. What do you think?