Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build - Plano, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build - Plano, TX

This is a great forum and I have learned a ton of info and appreciate the different threads that everyone participates on. We have finally taken the plunge as well and signed this week with a builder in North Texas. We are using Southernwind Pools, I don't think they are the cheapest by any means but so far they have been great to work with.
    Please feel free to provide any feedback, here is our proposed build:

Asymmetrical straight line play pool
    33’ x 20’
    Depth: 3.5’ – 5.5’ – 4.5’
    547 Sq Ft
    114’ Perimeter
    20,000 Gal
    Tanning ledge, bar stools & Bar ledge, love seat, Raised wall
    42 Sq Ft vanishing edge spa
    Details:
    • A&A In floor A&A cleaning system
    • Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    • Whisperflow WF-28 2 HP
    • Intelliflow SVRS 2.5HP Pump
    • Pentair 60 Sq Ft DE Filter
    • Rainbow 320 Inline
    • Pentair400,000 BTU Master Temp Heater
    • 2,0 HP Silencer Blower
    • Easy Touch Wireless control with Remote
    • Jandy 2”x2.5” Never Lube Valves
    • Pentair Intellibrite LED Pool Light and one Spa Light
    • 2 Venturi Skimmers
    • Gunite is Shot-Crete wet Gunite (7000 PSI)
    • Stonescapes Mini Pebble – Midnight blue
    • 900 Sq Ft Decking – Tumbled Travertine Pavers (Noche)

Warranty
    • Standard 3 year on Pentair Equipment
    • Lifetime on all Stone work (including erosion and delaminating)
    • Lifetime on all plumbing (with A&A Infloor cleaning system)
    • Lifetime on Pebble
    • Lifetime on pool structure
    7’ - 18” Sunken Outdoor Kitchen with Gas Insert, Fridge

Here are a few jpgs of the design and a you tube link BEFORE we made mods to the BBQ.

[youtube:2yy4fh2e]gIjiYuKbrTQ[/youtube:2yy4fh2e]

Would love any feedback. Thanks in advance!
    Sincerely,
    VERY NERVOUS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build - Plano, TX

I strongly recommend getting a larger filter, perhaps the Quad DE 100. Larger filters improve system efficiency and go longer between backwashes/cleanings. Also, the Quad series gets excellent reviews.

Think carefully about the in-floor system. If you have a lot of blown in dust an in-floor system can be totally worth it, but otherwise they are not worth the additional electricity and maintenance costs. Likewise, that in pool seating/bar area can be tremendous fun for social gatherings, but it creates some minor cleaning issues that will require regular attention. If you will be using it, it is well worth it. If it sits there unused it probably isn't worth it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree about the in-floor system; how much/what kind of debris do you get in the yard now? That's what's going to end up in your pool, and in-floor systems do a good job with some kinds and a lousy job with others. If you do get it, I'd make sure it either has its own pump, or can be valved off separately from the wall returns. That way it doesn't run 100% of the time, costing $$ even if the pool is pretty clean already.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason - Thanks for the input on the larger filter, I will contact the PB and run this by him.

On the in-floor cleaner, this PB has put in >30 of these and really pushed the product. The people that we talked to love it and claim that it keeps the pool very clean. I will mostly see dust/dirt, since I have no trees around or in my back yard. There is also a circulation value in the infloor as well. One thing that you bring up that I want to ask is $$, how much additiional will it cost to run this. I do belive it is on a separate pump but need to check.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. Back To Top    #5

Its cost depends on your electric rate, how much time it runs, and the size pump that is used to run it. If you have no trees, that bodes well for you.

I wrote a review of mine here:
    review-a-a-in-floor-cleaning-system-t24888.html
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys.

From what I can tell it will run at a low RPM for 5-6 hours per day and a high RPM for 2-3 hours. this is during the summer months, in winter, yo ucna expect to be 50-60% of that.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum

In-floor cleaning systems - While I don't have one, I will be just a little stronger than Jason and MITS and suggest they are one of the most troublesome topics on the forum. That said, you may love it but a search here will probably get you many more negatives than positives.

Don't overlook the larger filter. It will pay you back many times over in a variety of ways. Probably the best money you can spend on an "extra".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Efish- just wondering who else did you get quotes from and why did you end up choosing Southernwind? Did all the quotes come back pretty close? Were you able to negotiate with Southernwind on price after they provided you an initial quote? I will be getting bids later this year to start my build in the December timeframe. Any tidbits you can provide regarding what you learned in this process would be great to hear.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

9. Back To Top    #9

MSUJohn -

I looked at Riverbend, Hobert, Water Frontiers, and Southerwind. Water Frontiers wanted $1200-$1500 to even get a plan on paper and we finally heard too many issues with Riverbend and dropped them from consideration. So, we got a plan from Southernwind and a plan from Hobert. Hobert will spell out exactly where the costs are but for some reason, the pool they designed was a much simplier design with less "upgrades" and was about the same initial cost. I thought Southerwind nailed the design and like what I was hearing from them. I will tell you that I got a PM from a TFP Member that did not have a good experience at all with Southern Wind and is still having troubles, but I talked with several other people that were very happy with them. If you know exactly what you want I would say that either Hobert or Southernwind would be okay but if you are looking for creative ideas and what appears to be a higher level of service, then Southern Wind is a better choice. If you want more details on Southern Wind, I can provide a lot more detail, just PM me and let me know.

10. Back To Top    #10

We built our pool with Hobert and I have nothing but great things to say about Hobert. The build from dig to water fill was exactly 3 weeks.
    New pool owner ~ 30x17' IG Gunite freeform ~3' - 5.6' - 4' play pool (15,000 gallon) ~93' Perimeter ~432 sq ft~ 7' spa raised 12" with 6 jets, overflow waterfall and Bubbler with 100w light~24" sheen spillway ~ ic40 SWG ~ Pentair Intelliflo SVRS VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ 520 cartridge filter ~ Suntouch FOB Key controller ~ 500w Lighting~ 400,000 BTU Pentair Heater ~ Freeze Sensor ~ 350 sq ft tan color textured concrete decking My pool Build thread

11. Back To Top    #11

I would have to agree with shcuck. We went with Hobert and everything went very smoothly. Communication was excellent.

Greenhaw
    Freeform Gunite, 21K Gallons, Gray Plaster, 570 sq. ft., 106 Perimeter.
    Pentair- VS 3050, Intellichlor IC-40, 520 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite LED.
    Sun Touch Controller, Legend Platinum Cleaner with Pentair 1.5 hp Booster Pump.
    2- Bubblers & 2- Deck Jets. Autofill & Overflow. TF-100-Test Kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

New Pool Build - Plano, TX - Updated Pics

Okay,

Lots of activity. Hole was dug on Saturday, Monday was In-Floor cleaning system, Tuesday/Wednesday was rebar and some more plumbing. Inspection on Thursday and Gunite today. As long as the weather holds, things appear to be going well.

More pics

13. Back To Top    #13

UPDATED: New Pool Build - Plano, TX

Well,

Went on vacation and they shot the gunite, did the plumbing and this week put in the equipment. This does not look like a massive amount of equipment so any feedback is greatly welcomed on the equipment. Also, any idea what the equipments is on the back side of the pool?

Thanks.

The Gunite is done, and just in time before the rain hit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Equipment going in!

Where does the SWG and Ozonator go in the equipment pad, are they large pieces of equipment?

15. Back To Top    #15

Equipment in progress, Stone and coping next

What do you guys think about Dry Stack ledger at the water line and pebble below? We are removing the tile altogethers and am curious if there are concerns with that. PB asssures us he has done this many times before!

16. Back To Top    #16

The thing behind the pool is the valve for the in-floor cleaner. Any idea why the check valve is there?

17. Back To Top    #17

I asked the PB and his comment was they try to keep it as close to the pool as possible. It will be hidden by a 12" wall that runs across the back of the pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

I dont see your SWG anywhere..
    But it will hook up to your electronics they will be adding.
    Size 13,000 gal | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation PLC1400 SWG, Rainbow 320 | Placement in-ground (IG) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard
    Finish pebble smooth Tahoe Blue | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP main | Lighting Jandy LED Spa/Pool
    Location Frisco TX US

19. Back To Top    #19

New Pool Build - Plano, TX - Electric in!

yep, they added the SWG system this week and installed all the electric. This part seems to move slow but think they can be complete in 4 weeks!

20. Back To Top    #20

Mine isn't hooked up but it's all there. Who knows. The first week they made it to gunite. Now just finished 3 weeks and have decking and plaster left. I doubt I will make 4 weeks. Oh well.
    Size 13,000 gal | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation PLC1400 SWG, Rainbow 320 | Placement in-ground (IG) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard
    Finish pebble smooth Tahoe Blue | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP main | Lighting Jandy LED Spa/Pool
    Location Frisco TX US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast