New Pool Build - Plano, TX

Efish

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Plano, TX
This is a great forum and I have learned a ton of info and appreciate the different threads that everyone participates on. We have finally taken the plunge as well and signed this week with a builder in North Texas. We are using Southernwind Pools, I don't think they are the cheapest by any means but so far they have been great to work with.
Please feel free to provide any feedback, here is our proposed build:

Asymmetrical straight line play pool
33’ x 20’
Depth: 3.5’ – 5.5’ – 4.5’
547 Sq Ft
114’ Perimeter
20,000 Gal
Tanning ledge, bar stools & Bar ledge, love seat, Raised wall
42 Sq Ft vanishing edge spa
Details:
• A&A In floor A&A cleaning system
• Intellichlor IC40 SWG
• Whisperflow WF-28 2 HP
• Intelliflow SVRS 2.5HP Pump
• Pentair 60 Sq Ft DE Filter
• Rainbow 320 Inline
• Pentair400,000 BTU Master Temp Heater
• 2,0 HP Silencer Blower
• Easy Touch Wireless control with Remote
• Jandy 2”x2.5” Never Lube Valves
• Pentair Intellibrite LED Pool Light and one Spa Light
• 2 Venturi Skimmers
• Gunite is Shot-Crete wet Gunite (7000 PSI)
• Stonescapes Mini Pebble – Midnight blue
• 900 Sq Ft Decking – Tumbled Travertine Pavers (Noche)

Warranty
• Standard 3 year on Pentair Equipment
• Lifetime on all Stone work (including erosion and delaminating)
• Lifetime on all plumbing (with A&A Infloor cleaning system)
• Lifetime on Pebble
• Lifetime on pool structure
7’ - 18” Sunken Outdoor Kitchen with Gas Insert, Fridge

Here are a few jpgs of the design and a you tube link BEFORE we made mods to the BBQ.

[youtube:2yy4fh2e]gIjiYuKbrTQ[/youtube:2yy4fh2e]

FromtheFamilyRoom.jpg

Topdownview.jpg

ViewfromBBQtowardsHouse.jpg

Nighttimeview.jpg

UpstairsviewofNorthSide.jpg

Would love any feedback. Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
VERY NERVOUS

I strongly recommend getting a larger filter, perhaps the Quad DE 100. Larger filters improve system efficiency and go longer between backwashes/cleanings. Also, the Quad series gets excellent reviews.

Think carefully about the in-floor system. If you have a lot of blown in dust an in-floor system can be totally worth it, but otherwise they are not worth the additional electricity and maintenance costs. Likewise, that in pool seating/bar area can be tremendous fun for social gatherings, but it creates some minor cleaning issues that will require regular attention. If you will be using it, it is well worth it. If it sits there unused it probably isn't worth it.

I agree about the in-floor system; how much/what kind of debris do you get in the yard now? That's what's going to end up in your pool, and in-floor systems do a good job with some kinds and a lousy job with others. If you do get it, I'd make sure it either has its own pump, or can be valved off separately from the wall returns. That way it doesn't run 100% of the time, costing $$ even if the pool is pretty clean already.

Jason - Thanks for the input on the larger filter, I will contact the PB and run this by him.

On the in-floor cleaner, this PB has put in >30 of these and really pushed the product. The people that we talked to love it and claim that it keeps the pool very clean. I will mostly see dust/dirt, since I have no trees around or in my back yard. There is also a circulation value in the infloor as well. One thing that you bring up that I want to ask is $$, how much additiional will it cost to run this. I do belive it is on a separate pump but need to check.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks guys.

From what I can tell it will run at a low RPM for 5-6 hours per day and a high RPM for 2-3 hours. this is during the summer months, in winter, yo ucna expect to be 50-60% of that.

Welcome to the forum :lol:

In-floor cleaning systems - While I don't have one, I will be just a little stronger than Jason and MITS and suggest they are one of the most troublesome topics on the forum. That said, you may love it but a search here will probably get you many more negatives than positives.

Don't overlook the larger filter. It will pay you back many times over in a variety of ways. Probably the best money you can spend on an "extra".

Efish- just wondering who else did you get quotes from and why did you end up choosing Southernwind? Did all the quotes come back pretty close? Were you able to negotiate with Southernwind on price after they provided you an initial quote? I will be getting bids later this year to start my build in the December timeframe. Any tidbits you can provide regarding what you learned in this process would be great to hear.

MSUJohn -

I looked at Riverbend, Hobert, Water Frontiers, and Southerwind. Water Frontiers wanted $1200-$1500 to even get a plan on paper and we finally heard too many issues with Riverbend and dropped them from consideration. So, we got a plan from Southernwind and a plan from Hobert. Hobert will spell out exactly where the costs are but for some reason, the pool they designed was a much simplier design with less "upgrades" and was about the same initial cost. I thought Southerwind nailed the design and like what I was hearing from them. I will tell you that I got a PM from a TFP Member that did not have a good experience at all with Southern Wind and is still having troubles, but I talked with several other people that were very happy with them. If you know exactly what you want I would say that either Hobert or Southernwind would be okay but if you are looking for creative ideas and what appears to be a higher level of service, then Southern Wind is a better choice. If you want more details on Southern Wind, I can provide a lot more detail, just PM me and let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New Pool Build - Plano, TX - Updated Pics

Okay,

Lots of activity. Hole was dug on Saturday, Monday was In-Floor cleaning system, Tuesday/Wednesday was rebar and some more plumbing. Inspection on Thursday and Gunite today. As long as the weather holds, things appear to be going well.

More pics

DSC_6769.jpg

DSC_6784.jpg

DSC_6809.jpg

DSC_6827.jpg

DSC_6832.jpg

DSC_6903.jpg

DSC_6901.jpg

DSC_6906.jpg

DSC_6910.jpg

UPDATED: New Pool Build - Plano, TX

Well,

Went on vacation and they shot the gunite, did the plumbing and this week put in the equipment. This does not look like a massive amount of equipment so any feedback is greatly welcomed on the equipment. Also, any idea what the equipments is on the back side of the pool?

Thanks.

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0251-1.jpg

The Gunite is done, and just in time before the rain hit.

DSC_0250-1.jpg

DSC_0249-1.jpg

Equipment in progress, Stone and coping next

What do you guys think about Dry Stack ledger at the water line and pebble below? We are removing the tile altogethers and am curious if there are concerns with that. PB asssures us he has done this many times before!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.