Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Barnacles in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Barnacles in Pool

My in ground pool on Hatteras Island was covered with five feet of salt water during hurricane Irene. I just finally got down to inspect the house and pool and have found what looks like barnacles growing on sides and bottom of the pool. It's been a month since the pool had been running. Is there a special chemical I should add to the pool to kill these things. I'm closing the pool and would like to kill them so I don't have a problem in the spring
    14 x 28 x 5ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    11000 gal, IG
    1 HP Hayward Pump with timer

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Barnacles in Pool

If they're actually barnacles, chlorine will kill them. Kind of a unique problem!

That being said, calcium scale often looks like tiny barnacles. Any chance of a picture?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Califorina

Re: Barnacles in Pool

In another life I was a navy diver and busted many barnacles off of ships. If you can get in the water with goggles and take a look at the suspects that will help. Barnacles are live creatures, you will see them extending filaments trying to catch and eat plantain. I don't think they could grow/survive in your pool. They need a living ecosystem to support life.

What ever is growing on your pool sounds like it might have to be removed with some elbow grease. Maybe a pumice stone.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker